Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious Error on Windows XP Home

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tombstone

Tombstone

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:25 AM

Hi there

I'm wondering if anybody can help. I have Windows XP Home and for the last couple of weeks, I have been getting intermittant problems. Twice so far my PC has just restarted for no apparent reason and when I log back on again I get the following message:

"The system has recovered from a serious error"

"A log of this error has been created"

Can anybody tell me if this is something serious or not? I'm quite new to computing.
I use Windows XP Firewall and WAS using Norton Antivirus until my subscription ran out .

Thanks everybody

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:22 PM

Hi there

I'm wondering if anybody can help. I have Windows XP Home and for the last couple of weeks, I have been getting intermittant problems. Twice so far my PC has just restarted for no apparent reason and when I log back on again I get the following message:

"The system has recovered from a serious error"

"A log of this error has been created"

Can anybody tell me if this is something serious or not? I'm quite new to computing.
I use Windows XP Firewall and WAS using Norton Antivirus until my subscription ran out .

Thanks everybody

Please enter the event viewer and post the event ID & source.
To open Event Viewer, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer.

When removing Norton Antivirus did you use the Symantec Removal Tool?
Sometimes NAV can leave leftovers that can cause problems.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.n...001092114452606

#3 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:46 PM

Isuggest you use more than one scanning software, I suggest you also try a Lavasoft Scan (click link to get software).

#4 stranded

stranded

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:42 AM

Tombstone,
There can be a number of factors which can cause your system to shut down unexpectedely. What were you doing at the time of error? Did you Install any new software or hardware components prior to experiencing the error? Was there an "error code" eg:"0x00880221" on your display screen prior to shutting down?

If you can provide a few further details, we'll have a better Insight and work on It from there.

#5 rmm55

rmm55

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:43 PM

It appears that you may need to run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console to check the hard drive for errors.
The XP cd will be required. You don't mention how long you have been without current virus protection. In the lapsed time you very well could have gotten a trojan that could have corrupted some system files.
Roy Mel - YourTechOnline technician
roy@no_spam_yourtechonline.com (remove no_spam_)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users