Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yeloshu

yeloshu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:18 AM

Two things. I have DSL. I have the cable hooked up into a modem. I have the modem hooked up to a router. The router can successfully connect, wirelessly, to a Win NT laptop. The router can also connect to a Mac through a cable. I have tried to hook up the laptop with a cable, but for some reason it isn't detected. Also, I recently tried to hook up a Win XP Home to the router through a cable but it won't work either. I read through the troubleshooters and have pinged the XP's IP address from the XP and the signal was returned successfully from the router but and the IP address responds almost instantly. Then I pinged the gateway and no response. I also pinged the NT laptop and again, no response from the laptop. The all the lights on the modem and router are all on. Also, the computer's internal modem says that everything is in order. In the LAN properties it even shows that my computer has sent many packages. I would like to know:
A.) Why will the wireless work on the laptop but the cable not.
B.) How can I get the router to send and receive from my XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:48 AM

Go into the administrative control for the router; this typically involves using your web browser, the local IP address of the router (ie. 192.168.0.1 or .1.1 or ??) and the name and password. Were you the one who got the NT laptop and the Apple working with the router? Perhaps the router is set to only work for a list of machines or MAC addresses and you'll need to add your new computer. Also, when the XP machine is cabled in, what is the IP address reported by it? Compare that to the devices' IP addresses which are working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users