Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System restore can't restore to earlier date

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Not me

Not me

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:57 AM

Hello,
It's the newbie with a problem.
I have a Dell 600m running XP PRO. Earlier the computer gave me the dreaded blue screen displaying there had been an "error" and windows had been shut down to keep the computer from turning into a paper weight. A check stated bad software as one posibile reason.
When I tried to use system restore, the system was unable to return to an earlier date. I tried 3 different dates.
I did install a Microsoft flight controller the other day,a plug and play,and only to test it. The controller worked fine.May this have had something to do with the problem?
Also, before I installed the flight controller,the system was acting strange. It would freeze up. The freezing up happened the first time about 10 days before the controler was installed,and the system froze I think maybe 3 times total before the blue screen today. The times it froze were a few days apart and for what seemed like no reason. I'd be typing and poof...it was frozen.

A little history,
I've had the computer for a little over 5 years now,never having any problems,but I only use it for checking email and checking web sites like eBay and craigslist and some help forums such as this one. Never any "risky" web sites and I never open unknown email.

It has Norton AV and always has since new. Once in awhile the Norton would display it found "something" but I have no idea what and assumed the problem was resolved after following the Norton instructions on what to do about the infection. I haven't seen any problems as far as having a virius in a very long time and I'm not sure there ever was a virius.

Just before the blue screen came up,I noticed 3 quick blips on the screen. Like a loose connection, a light that flickered,that's the best I can discribe it. If I had blinked,I would have missed it. It was that quick.

Is there a way to get the system restore to run and revert the system back...or am I screwed?

OK then.
Thank you for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

It may help to find out what the BSOD is actually telling you...Guideline is here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Read through it and post what you find back here and someone may be able to guide you as to what your problem really is...I really dought that the "Flight Controller" is causing this unless it has a corrupt driver...But you stated that these problems started before it's installation...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Not me

Not me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

It may help to find out what the BSOD is actually telling you...Guideline is here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Read through it and post what you find back here and someone may be able to guide you as to what your problem really is...I really dought that the "Flight Controller" is causing this unless it has a corrupt driver...But you stated that these problems started before it's installation...

Thank you sir,I'll look into it right away.
I also have doubts about the controller being the cause,I only mentioned it because the system check included new software or programs as a possible cause of the dump. I'll report back any findings.

Thanks again.

#4 Not me

Not me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:35 AM

Thank you sir,I'll look into it right away.
I also have doubts about the controller being the cause,I only mentioned it because the system check included new software or programs as a possible cause of the dump. I'll report back any findings.

Thanks again.

Is there more than one version of this program? I followed the instructions,but the was no file "open crash dump" or "crash dump" when I reached the final step.

Computer is getting worse. It has frozen twice in the last hour. Sorry, I need to cut this post short.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:33 AM

<<Is there a way to get the system restore to run and revert the system back...or am I screwed?>>

Since it's a Dell system...have you reviewed your owner's manual or the Dell website...for possible troubleshooting steps you can take?

Louis

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,649 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:42 AM

Is there a way to get the system restore to run and revert the system back...or am I screwed?

System Restore is usually fixable, it just depends on what the problem is with it. A common problem is corruption of your Restore Point cache, often caused inadvertently by security software. The fix is simple, delete all old restore points by turning System Restore off then create a new one by turing it back on. But obviously this solution would mean that you are screwed as far as reverting back to a prior state, so that would mean it is both fixable and that you are screwed. :thumbsup:

Before you try that, please describe exactly when you get the message that SR can't restore--is it after the reboot? Write down the exact wording of the message and type it back here.

Also list back here any other security software, besides Norton, that you have installed and running. Also what version of Norton are you running? Is your subscription current?

Is there more than one version of this program? I followed the instructions,but the was no file "open crash dump" or "crash dump" when I reached the final step.

Can you confirm that you clicked on File at top left and Open Crash Dump did not appear in the menu? Or perhaps you misunderstood the instructions? If not you may have a bad download and should try again--it may be wise to use someone else's computer (that is known to be clear of any malware) and transfer it over to yours if it is freezing so often. I'm not optimistic that, even if you get System Restore working again, that it will fix the problem, so we need to see what we can to to manually fix it. Worst case, you may have to replace some hardware or restore/reformat/reinstall the operating system, so make backups now of any important data.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#7 Not me

Not me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

Well,where do I start.
I guess with the debugging problem.
I tried to run the program on another computer as per the instructions. All went well until the last couple of steps. At the end of step 5 it states,"click on FILE menu and then select the menu option. This will save the symbol path for future use" There is no "menu option" on either of the computers.
Step 6. This states"click on the FILE menu and select the open crash dump option". This file I can find. Instructions then state"click on the browse button and browse to the location of the memory dump,double-click on it to load it into the debugger"
This is where I run into a problem.when I get to this point MEMORY is displayed in the open box. When I click on open, a box opens saying "MEMORY.DMP not found". "check for correct file name". Pretty much I received the same results on both computers.
At this point I'm lost,sorry.

Now, not to change the subject,but I was able to run the system diagnostics for "system locks" and found the "Read test"failed as well as the "verify test".
Read test showed the following,"error code 0f00:0244 MSG:Block 73130474: uncorrectable data error or media is write protected" Then "MSG Block73131071,73131688,73315229,73315812.

The verify test failure is "0f00:1a44 73130474:".

I will continue to try and access the debugging report. I'm sure that there is a step that I'm missing.

Oh yes, I'm not sure what version of Norton AV is installed,but it is NOT the 360,that much I am sure of. Yes, the AV it is currant with 175 days left. I did turn the Norton off,then ran system restore again with the same result as before,that being,system restore could not reset to an earlier point,no changes have been made to the computer. Or something to that effect,no reasons or coses are displayed as to why system restore did not work.

There is one question that may clear up the problem with the debugging. How do I find what type of system I have,32 or 64 bit?
I ran the program for 32 bit.

Again,thank you for putting up with someone that shouldn't be screwing around with a computer.

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,649 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

Now, not to change the subject,but I was able to run the system diagnostics for "system locks" and found the "Read test"failed as well as the "verify test".
Read test showed the following,"error code 0f00:0244 MSG:Block 73130474: uncorrectable data error or media is write protected" Then "MSG Block73131071,73131688,73315229,73315812.

The verify test failure is "0f00:1a44 73130474:".

Actually this goes more to the heart of your issue than anything else you've posted. Even tho you don't post where it comes from, evidently you have taken hamluis's good advice and run some Dell diagnostic tool. What that error indicates is that your hard drive is damaged and about to fail completely. You may be able to fix the damage for a while, but your immediate goal should be to back up any data from this hard drive that you want to keep before you do anything else. From your description of your computer usage, there may not be much, but think about it and put what you want to save on a CD/DVD or external hard drive or other medium--the cheapest and simplest way to go is to get a USB Flash drive and transfer your data to it.

A working System Restore isn't going to help with hardware failure--and if this is the only problem, then we can forget about the debug tool for now.

Now go to START, then Run and copy the bold text below and then paste it into the Run box and hit Enter:

chkdsk /r

Then reboot your system. Do this when you plan on being away from the computer for an hour or so as it won't be available for use.

Only do this if you have backed up all the data you want to keep. There is always a risk that repairs will go badly. Then post back if there is improvement.

This is not my area of expertise, so you might want to wait on the advice of others, but my research indicates you may have a Maxtor hard drive and one person who had similar issues to yours used Maxtor's hard drive utility to make some further repairs after running chkdsk /r. That can be found here: http://majorgeeks.com/Maxtor_Powermax_d1386.html

For help with changing out your hard drive and reinstalling your Operating System, it will probalbly be best that you post a new topic in the Hardware forum. But do post back how things went. We can then look into System Restore and the debugger if need be. You'll want System Restore to work correctly when you get your system back to normal and it may be because of the version of Norton that you are running is why it has a problem. If you have the time we can look into that in this thread.

The thing about people

is they change

#9 Not me

Not me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

Hi,
Was able to run system restore,but this made no change in the problem of the computer locking up.

I also was able to get into the Minidump file. I can not figure out how to post the file,so I'll post some of the findings in hopes someone can give me the next move.
!st the file is [C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini082909-01 . dmp]

I receive, Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
* Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path *
* Use .symfix to have debugger choose a symbol path *
* After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations *
Executable search path is:
* Symbols can not be loaded because symbol path is not initialized. *
* the symbol Path can be set by : *
* using the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH enviroment variable. *
* using the _y <symbol-path> argument when starting the debugger . *
* using >sympath and .sympath+ *
Unable to load image ntoskrnl. exe . Win32 error On2

After that text,the following text says the debugger is not using the correct symbols.

When analyzed,

ADDITIONAL_DEBUG_TEXT
Use '!findthebuild' comand to search for the target build information.
If the build information is available, run '!findthebuild -s: .reload' to set symbol path and load symbols.

MODULE_NAME: nt

FALUTING_MODULE: 804d7000 nt

DEBUG_FIR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 498c1a18

WRITE_ADDRESS: unable to get nt ! MmSpecialPoolStart
unable to get nt! MnspecialPoolEnd
unable to get nt ! MnspecialPoolcodeStart
unable to get! MNspecialPoolCodeEnd

Currernt_IROL: 2

FAULTING_IP:
nt + 3eb4b
80515b4b 834cc208ff or dword ptr [ edx+eax*8=8 ], OFFFFFFFFh

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: OxA

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFR: from 80515a29 to 80515b4b

STACK_TEXT:
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.

adc0DD0C 80515A29 C001259C 80514CDD 04967000 NT+0X3EB4B
adc0dd4c 804E1718 00000001 04967000 01000001 NT=0x3ea29
adc0dd64 77c47631 badb0d00 00000002 ada11d98 nt+0xa718
adc0dd68 badb0d00 00000002 ada11d98 ada11dcc 0x77c47631
adc0dd6c 00000000 ada11d98 ada11dcc 00000000 0xbadb0d00

STACK_COMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
nt+3eb4b
80515b4b 834cc208ff 0r dword ptr [edx+eax*8+8] . 0FFFFFFFFh

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 0

SYMBOL_NAME nt+3eb4b

FOLLOWUP_NAME MachineOwner

IMAGE_NAME ntoskrnl.exe

BUCKET_ID WRONG_SYMBOLS

FOLLOWUP: MachineOwner.
-------------------------------------

Well that's about it. I get the feeling all this just means I entered the wrong code.
Anyway, thanks for the help.

Edited by Not me, 01 September 2009 - 06:20 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

Did you run the chkdsk /r, as suggested?

This may help with the .dmp files, Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

FWIW: Any diagnostic which indicated a hard drive error needs to be pursued. My suggestion would be to follow up the Dell diagnostic with one preferred by the hard drive manufacturer. If short/long tests are offered, run the extended/long test.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#11 Not me

Not me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

Did you run the chkdsk /r, as suggested?

This may help with the .dmp files, Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

FWIW: Any diagnostic which indicated a hard drive error needs to be pursued. My suggestion would be to follow up the Dell diagnostic with one preferred by the hard drive manufacturer. If short/long tests are offered, run the extended/long test.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

Yes, I did run chkdsk,it ran through 3 tests then seemed to start to run some kind of program when it quit,just went off screen. I didn't feel it finished the testing.

I ran the test twice on the chance it failed the first time. Second test ended with the same result.

I've tried a couple of other malware programs today. One found 26 "problems" and would remove them for the low price of $29.95. I declined having been taken in the past.
Another program found just 3 problems,1 of which had to do with malware. According to the program,it was a nasty infection.

Up date,
I've run the computer all afternoon and it just locked up again. So... I thank you all,but I know when to say enough. I'm off to buy a new computer. It just isn't worth the headaches.

Thank you.

Edited by Not me, 01 September 2009 - 09:24 PM.

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:43 PM

Before you give up, download and run this free malware removal program...

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

Well...it seems to me that a new hard drive would have been the obvious choice, rather than a new computer.

But, one is just as easy as the other...to some persons.

Louis

#14 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,649 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:07 AM

I agree with Louis to some extent, mostly because of what you posted here:

Again,thank you for putting up with someone that shouldn't be screwing around with a computer.

You strike me as a person who needs to have someone with some knowledge and that you can trust to be physically in front of your computer, either a friend or a reputable shop. A shop might cost you as much as a cheapo computer but they should make quick work of finding the problem and replacing the hardware and clean out your computer as well--the heat could be because it has never been cleaned. Because you don't demand a lot from your computer it would seem to me you would be more comfortable with the one you know--a new computer you'll have to learn a new operating system--plus getting it set up the way you like it.

On the other hand, some research I did on the bug checker--and I'm not a guru at this--seemed to indicate that you have bad RAM as well. Maybe something has borked the entire system, such as a nearby lightening strike or some other power surge. If this is true or not, I would still take it to a shop and let them determine if it was worth keeping or not. If they recommend a new computer, have them build you one. You'll get better quality than one you buy off the shelf.

The thing about people

is they change

#15 Not me

Not me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:58 AM

Okay get this,I'm sitting here looking at that computer laying there on the table when it hits me,the freaking broadband card,board,whetever its called.
I changed it out this morning and haven't had a problem since. Can the broadband really have been causing all the trouble? Of course this doesn't mean I won't have a problem,but the heating in that area is gone,the locking up hasn't happened,which was happening every 15 minutes towards the end.

The reason I though of this was two fold. One,the area of the heat was where the broadband was located,two,I replaced everything else.
I changed the hard drive,same result,changed the memory,same result,changed the CPU,same result. Wasn't much left that could be changed very easy.
Anyway,I'm still thinking of getting a new computer,but some very valid points have been raised. The one most bothersome is the need to learn the new system. I have enough trouble with the XP.

Thanks again. I'll post back if this doesn't cure the problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users