Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mindboggler: YouTube videos won't play all the way to the end

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Boardwalkgirl

Boardwalkgirl

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:33 PM

Warning: this problem has stumped even some of the best techs Dell has to offer, including some of their supervisors in India and the Phillipines.

The problem: any YouTube video I start eventually locks up and freezes right in the middle of the video. That little round loading circle (pictured below at the end of this post) then starts to gyrate clockwise in the middle of the screen going round and round and round. This problem appears to be a streaming problem because I'm pretty sure some of the Amazon and Netflix movies have freezed up and some DailyMotion videos, too. Notes:

>i use both IE and Firefox
>i defragged my disc
>i use AT&T DSL
>bandwidth rating: 3mps
>ping milliseconds: 34
>found no virus or anthing malicious
>removed and then reinstalled Adobe Flash 10
>problem occurs even when I'm in safe mode
>the problem is not intermittant, it's consistent, problem occurs with almost every video

If I can't find a cure I might have to reinstall Windows?

WindowsXP
4GB RAM
2.80GHz processor

Posted Image

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:35 AM

Have you already tinkered with MTU settings (in Windows and your router)?
See for more details: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5793

#3 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:11 PM

Try look in your security software for something like Http/Web scanner. Be sure streaming video is on exception list. Some AVs can have problems with that.

Dont know if streaming problems could be sign of infection. What did you scan with? May be try an onlinescanner for doublecheck, ESETs is very good but untick 2 boxes with unwanted, potentially unsafe programs. To limit noise, should not matter for real problems. Se below. Result can be exported to a textfile if in doubt. Also use quarantine so safe. Kasperskys cant remove a thing only report. You just need confirmation so scan away.

Or you have conflicting security software somehow. Ive seen a firewall in a router conflict with a flash chat so much is possible, anything speciel in the chain? Try skip router or turn off Firewall, see what happens.

ISP can mess up streaming?

I helped someone finding a Wordpress plugin about the time Youtube started to increase quality. It defaulted to HQ but he soon changed that just because of your attached image. To rule that out you have some Youtube problem when chosing low/normal quality?

What about your Flash settings? http://www.macromedia.com/support/document..._manager02.html Should not be possible to have such an impact but who knows. Try delete storage and privacy settings. As they say what you see on that page are current settings. Im not sure they get reset when you uinstall Flash.

MTU settings you might not recognize but done any tweaking lately? Could be part of a "Boost internet" feature in whatever tool. Or invisible part of a whole "System optimization" cure. Unless very bad there should be a restore default option? If not sure but you know some related tweaking has been done, downloaded reg-file perhaps, then try this http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php In file menu there is "Restore default Windows settings"

Posted Image

#4 Boardwalkgirl

Boardwalkgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

This matter appears to be resolved:

It appears the problem was something that went wrong inside the belly of the virtually new, two month old ATT modem.

I hope I'm not premature with this verdict, but I just got rid of the very light, very small, compact Westell modem ATT gave me. ATT sent me a slightly heavier Motorola modem. I've been using the Motorola for about half a day now. It's about the same size as the Westell, compact in size. Does size matter modem-wise?

The same vids that failed with the Westell now run stream fine with the Motorola. I ran about 8 vids both with IE and FF all at the same time and they ran fine with no drop-offs. Also, in the last couple of days, besides the streaming problem, on occasion out of the blue I'd get the IE Cannot Display the Page error message. My browser would stay stuck on that page for a couple of minutes no matter how many times I'd hit Refresh. This would happen on a rare occasion.

I was with Time Warner for about 6 years. Their heavy, large Surfboard modem never failed - I'd rate it A+. I've been with ATT for about 2 months. I thought TW's customer service was bad - and at times it is. ATT has some serious customer service issues that need fixin' and appear to be worse than Time Warner. I hate'em both they both SUCK but whatta ya gonna do you need an Internet connection.

My mom's dead but even so I still wonder how anyone with a heart purer than mine could ever deal with someone like them. Seeing what we, the consumer, have to deal with nowadays, it's just as well that all the pure hearts of yesteryear have been replaced with girls gone wild. Which suits the the suits at ATT and Time Warner just fine. Why, they figure, rise up to cater to the needs to a class of people they find dispensable? In their eyes we're all gang bangers, not veterans of war.

Change is needed. My one grand wish is that Rupert Murdoch and the head of ATT contract H1N1 this coming winter. I tell everyone that Wikipedia's database is bigger than the galaxy - don't doubt me on that 'cause they even have a page on pubic hair. I think mom woulda got a kick out of Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H1N1

#5 Boardwalkgirl

Boardwalkgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:16 PM

I forgot to mention: in the midst of this streaming problem ATT tested the bad Westell modem (a few days ago) and they gave it a clean bill of health anyway. So if you're having the same exact problem I did, problems with drop-offs when streaming vids and disconnects when trying to connect to a web page, swap your modem out and replace it with a fresh one. I don't fault the ATT techs on their mis-diagnosis, for reasons I won't get into. Last night I streamed a movie from Netflix last night and this morning. They ran fine.

#6 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:29 PM

If you had a router in between that could be the problem, weird compatibility issues with modem perhaps. Actually I never heard of that but why not. Router can go crazy on their own but I thought modems were like on/off. Would never have guessed. Things break but they say nope. Well it works now...

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:31 PM

Possibly the MTU settings inside the router.

#8 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:23 AM

But a modem is not a router or am I mistaken? The modems we get here are fixed, no way to tinker with those. No login options, no reset, fixed settings. Screwdriver needed to open - in fact they would regard that as breaking TOS. I thought that was normal? Any changes like MTU must be done in attached routers. Ive been told ISP remotely adjust what needs to adjusted, may be even firmware upgrade. Could be what went wrong perhaps. The old modem did not work with whatever change they made. So they could be correct that modem is technically ok but she is also correct because it does not work at her place.

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:23 AM

These days most ISPs give a device that is a modem + a router.

#10 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:36 AM

So when people say "modem" (in US?) it make sense to assume item is really a modem/router combo? Can be logged into, modifiable like a standalone router. Must remember that.

#11 Boardwalkgirl

Boardwalkgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:35 PM

Update : the problem was with the modem, it was misfiring, had a hiccup, got the flu. I called AT&T and they sent out a new one. That cured the problem. But note that when I posted the thread starter I didn't know how to copy a video file to my hard drive. Now I know how to do that. Watching videos on Windows Media Player is so much better than using an Internet connection, none of that buffering nonsense you gotta contend with. Plus I get to keep the video, it's all mine, forever !! My video library is growing, and that's a nice thing !! Copying videos to your hard drive is addicting, sometimes I'll stay up all night doing copying videos. Plus I got frickin' tired of going to a favorite YouTube video only to see that is was removed by the user, a music company due to a copyright violation or YouTube removed it for any old reason. I swear I bookmarked over a hundred YT videos over the last few years and a significant portion of them have been removed. Firefox's VideoDownloadHelper works okay but sometimes the quality of the copy is not as good as the original. I have found that FF's VDH works good for a lot of sites but not YT. For me, Safari's copy tool works best for YT vids. I have a PC. I tried surfing with Safari and it's no good for that, really for surfing the web it's pretty bad. But it does have a powerful copy tool that blows me away it's so good. Just go to Safari's tool bar and click on >Windows and then click on >Activity and you'll then see a long list of files. You ALWAYS look for the LARGEST size file and then click on it to start the copy process, that's it. It really is a ridiculously slick tool for copying. I then convert the video file to a Windows friendly AVI extension with a super user-friendly conversion tool put out by WINFF.

http://winff.org/html_new/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safari_(web_browser)

Edited by Boardwalkgirl, 10 March 2010 - 09:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users