Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Open MHTML (.MHT) Saved Web-pages From Microsoft

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MrMikie

MrMikie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:05 PM

:flowers: :trumpet: I cannot open any saved web-pages from Microsoft that has been saved as "Web Archive, single file (*.mht)". I can save it as "Webpage, complete (*.htm, html)" and open it. All other web-sites I have been to and saved any web-pages as *.mht/mhtml can be opened -- no problem. But everytime I try to open anything I saved from Microsoft causes Internet Explorer to slow to an extreme crawl and eventually "stop responding". I have to open Task Manager to "end process" for Internel Explorer.

I have Windows XP Home w/SP2 and currently running IE7. The same problem occurs when IE8 is installed.

When I save any web-page as *mht, other than assigning a file name, all the other options are default selected -- SAVE TYPE AS .... Web Archine, single file (*mht) and
ENCODING ... UNICODE (UTF-8).

All I basically do is Open FILE -- SAVE AS... -- and then assign a file name then ENTER.

I don't know if anyone can help but it's start. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

Have you tried Firefox to save and open MHT files. You would need unMHT plugin in firefox. ( http://www.unmht.org/unmht/en_index.html )

I used to have problems saving and later opening MHT files using IE, now I use Firefox to save and view MHT, no problems so far :thumbsup:

#3 MrMikie

MrMikie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:06 PM

Romeo29 ... thanks for responding. And ... no, I do not have Firefox. In past week or so I have thought about Firefox but I'm not sure if I want to switch. And, with all the "add-ons" I really don't know which ones (add-ons) I really should have. I primarily just check email and browse the web; and updating of my AV/AS apps and other applications (checking for updates). On online gaming, no downloading/watching of videos or movies, etc. Another point is ... what do I have to do with IE7 or IE8 to be able to have and run Firefox?

Some time ago, for sure when IE6 was being used and then IE7 was released, I was able to save MS web-pages as "*.mht" and open them without any problem. Not too soon afterwards, I believe MS did something to their web-pages. I can still save their web-pages but can't open them. This problem is the same for IE7 and IE8.
I can save MS web-pages as "*.htm/htmo" and open them - no problem there. It's just that saving in *.htm format takes up more disk space.

If I can't get this solved I guess I will either have to continue saving at *.htm or maybe switch to Firefox.

I have also been looking at possibly switching to Linux Desktop. That's quite a jump! And, will have to learn a different OS, as well as, application compatibility and
availability.

Anyway - again, thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:29 AM

How about trying a repair of Outlook Express?

The vast majority of IE users don't seem to have a problem opening .mht files, that would make me believe that your OE is possibly damaged and requires replacement.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Worth reading: http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft...ie8-solved.html

Louis

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:20 AM

Another point is ... what do I have to do with IE7 or IE8 to be able to have and run Firefox?

Nothing. Just download and install Firefox from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ . After that, go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8051 to add unMHT addon, by clicking "Add to firefox".

Firefox does not interfere with IE or its settings.

One more thing, you can save web pages in MHTML format using Firefox and later open them using IE :thumbsup: You dont have to use Firefox to view MHT, although you can.

#6 MrMikie

MrMikie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:03 AM

Hamlius.....

What, if anything, does OE have to do with *.mht saved web-page openning since when it is opened that IE louds and the *.mht opens in IE? And, anyway, I don't use OE at all. What ever was installed with my XP Home; and updated accordingly, is what I have with regards to OE. I use Eudora for my email client.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:22 AM

OE is repaired in the same manner that IE is repaired/reinstalled...they are one and the same, indivisible.

But I meant IE, not OE...because they are indivisible, I'm prone to use the wrong set of letters, sorry :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users