Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built My 1st PC, Need Help w/ First Start Up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 justsometallguy

justsometallguy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

I just put together my first pc and I started it up no problem. I was able to get to the BIOS and started changing the date/time when the pc (I'm assuming mobo) started beeping (one continuous beep, no pauses). I couldn't make any more changes to the bios, it was like it froze. I powered down, then turned it back on and now I'm unable to get to the BIOS. My monitor just says no signal. I know the monitor works fine as I'm using it right now with my old pc.

Here are the specs:
PSU - Corsair 650W
Mobo - Asus P5N-D SLI
GPU - 2x XFX 9800GT in SLI
RAM - 2x2GB Gskill 800 DDR2
HDD - 1TB WD Black
CPU - Intel E8400 Wolfdale

I've tried taking out one of the 9800's, swapping them, etc. Same for the RAM, 1 stick only, swap, etc. and nothing happens. All the lights and fans are running, but nothing on the monitor.

Any ideas? Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

Your heatsink/fan is mounted properly? None of the pushpins pulled out?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 justsometallguy

justsometallguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:57 PM

Your heatsink/fan is mounted properly? None of the pushpins pulled out?

Yes, all the pins are completely pushed in. I've also got a green light on the mobo if that's relavent.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:40 AM

Hmmm... the P5N-D manual doesn't mention a continuous beep as one of the error codes. However, my P5L-MX gives a continuous beep if there's an electrical short somewhere. i.e. the motherboard is coming in contact with the case somehow. Check to make sure that the MB is properly mounted on the standoffs and that no part of the MB is touching the case, also check to make sure that no unshielded wires come into contact with the MB.

A good way to test this is to remove the MB from the case and set it on a non-conductive surface while trying to boot it. If it works while outside the case, then it's definitely a short.

#5 justsometallguy

justsometallguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:22 AM

Hmmm... the P5N-D manual doesn't mention a continuous beep as one of the error codes. However, my P5L-MX gives a continuous beep if there's an electrical short somewhere. i.e. the motherboard is coming in contact with the case somehow. Check to make sure that the MB is properly mounted on the standoffs and that no part of the MB is touching the case, also check to make sure that no unshielded wires come into contact with the MB.

A good way to test this is to remove the MB from the case and set it on a non-conductive surface while trying to boot it. If it works while outside the case, then it's definitely a short.

I noticed there wasn't an error code for the cont. beep in the manual also. I'm glad to hear that it does exist in other boards though. I just pulled everything out of the case and I'm resetting the CMOS right now...hopefully it'll all work!

Thanks for the advice! I'll let you know how it turns out.

EDIT: If this does work, it will be interesting to see if I can get it back in the case without creating a short again.... I don't know how it happened in the first place. I used all 9 standoffs and I didn't see any wires touching it.

Edited by justsometallguy, 30 August 2009 - 02:24 AM.

#6 justsometallguy

justsometallguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:47 AM

Well, no luck.... I'm still not getting any signal to the monitor and I'm not getting any sort of beep from the mobo. I can't think of anything else to try at this point. Anyone else have an idea? Thanks!

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:15 AM

If you're not getting any signal to the monitor AND there are no beeps at all (not even the standard single "all's well" beep that computers give) then I'd say it's time to RMA it.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 30 August 2009 - 03:15 AM.

#8 justsometallguy

justsometallguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:42 AM

If you're not getting any signal to the monitor AND there are no beeps at all (not even the standard single "all's well" beep that computers give) then I'd say it's time to RMA it.

That's what I figured. Dang it, I was hoping to get this thing up and running this weekend. Oh well. Thanks for the help!

#9 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:58 PM

Looks like the mobo failed then. You know I had all sorts of issues with my P5N-D, for oc'ing it was terrible(thanks nforce) the vdrop on that board is brutal too. It used to crash randomly, I didn't even bother RMA'ing it, just bought myself a P5Q-Pro :thumbsup:
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#10 justsometallguy

justsometallguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:38 PM

RMAed the board and the new one seems to be working. Thanks for all the help!

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:40 PM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users