Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp pro fresh intall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Raner

Raner

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

Hi All
I have been thinking of doing a fresh install on my pc.The only thing that has been holding me back is how to save all the stuff I want to keep.I have two hard drives C:Drive 80GB is where windows xp pro is installed,but it is almost down to 3 GB's of free space D:Drive 320 GB.is the secondary drive and it's got 120 GB's of free space.
Can anyone help me with this.Is there a way to do a fresh install of window xp pro and not disturb the stuff that is on D:Drive,because if there is a way to do it my problems are over I can save all the stuff I need from C:Drive on E:Drive and just reinstall back on C:Drive after the fresh install. Thanks Raner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

If you are talking about saving pictures, videos, music, etc. then just copy what you want saved over to you D:.

If you are talking about already installed programs then this will not work. You will need the program installer once you have done the fresh install of XP.

After you have copied what you want over to D: then shut off your PC, take off the side panel, disconnect the power cable from D:. This will prevent the drive from being seen by the XP install disk and it will automatically select you current C: drive to install to.

A couple tips. While you are in the case unplug any card reader if your PC is so equipped. All you need plugged in is a CD\DVD drive and the hard drive you want XP on. Also on the outside make sure that any printers, scanners, ipods, flash drives are unplugged as well.

#3 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:32 PM

Hey Thunder Z Thanks for the comeback
So let me get this Stright ,unplug the D: Drive Power cable and you mentioned card reader would that be a video card,because i do have two ati 2900 pro video cards installed on the pc.
oh one more thing when I get done with the fresh install plug the power cable on D:Drive and everything will be just as it was before the fresh reinstall. Thanks again Raner

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:38 PM

No, do`t unplug the video cards.

Once you have installed XP and all the drivers, I would make sure that XP is fully updated. Then turn off your machine, plug the hard drive back in. XP should see it and install the need`d drivers.

You should be all set to install what ever programs you had previously installed and away you go.

#5 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:50 PM

Thanks Thunder Z for taking the time to answer my Post:
Just wanted to be sure what to do because if I mess up I loose a bunch of stuff,you know how it is with us PackRats always saving stuff that will come in handy later on.And yes the stuff I wanted to save from C:Drive was Music,profiles for my game pad,and few other files. Thanks again and have a good one-Raner

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

Your :thumbsup:

Yep....I do understand packrats. :flowers:

Let us know how things work out or if you have any problems.

#7 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:18 PM

I surely will,it's going to take me a bit of time to make sure I copied all the files I need to save,and then will supper charge this bad boy,its had so many upgrades over the years,motherboards,cpu's,video cards,and I have never reinstalled my OS.so I know it's due for a fresh reinstall.My Rig is a bit out dated but it handles any game out there at the hightest settings with no problems,so I won't be upgrading for a while.I'm running a duel core AM2 6400+PCU,Two ATI 2900 pro 512 gb,Asus Crossfire motherboard,4 GB's of Ram,and 1000 PSU,the only thing that is bad is that the video cards do put out some heat.So I figured if I'm done updating for a while it's a good time to do the fresh reinstall I have been putting off for a couple of years. Well Bye for now and I'll catch you later and thanks again for your help.

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:48 AM

FWIW, I am of the opinion that if you wish to do a fresh install of XP or any other OS on your C: drive just save what you want from it to your other drive and go for it (as long as we are talking about two separate drives...Not one drive with two partitions). You shouldn't really have to unplug anything...You can if you want....

When you use the XP CD it will ask you what drive you want to install Windows on...Select C:, let the install CD format it (all existing data and files will be lost)...That is why you want to move anything that you want to save over to your other drive.

The only times I have ever had to unplug another drive, printer, modem, or anything else during an installation of XP was when some external bit of hardware was causing Windows not to install....Only happened once that I can recall and I really can't remember what the conflict was.

Again, you can unplug these things as Thunder suggests, but it just adds extra steps to an already lengthy process...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:59 AM

Unplugging the data drive before booting to the Windows CD makes it impossible for windows to delete the data partition and erase all data.

I know, I deleted 120 gigs of data because Windows wanted to default install on an old pata drive.

That was long ago but the memory still lingers.

You can always use disk management to play musical drive letter assignments after plugging the drive back in.

Edited by DaChew, 30 August 2009 - 10:06 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:10 AM

Valid point about the PATA drive...For safety it makes sense to unplug the other drive if it is of that type...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users