Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task manager

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wlo48

wlo48

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:29 PM

Hello, I am new member and as most new members very frustrated with this piece of plastic sitting beside me call a PC. And as my background, I am embarassed to say, I am a CNE for Novell networking and a level 5 MSE. And as you read on you will see why I am embarassed!

My wife just paid a computer shop $200 to clean it up and the PC came home, got hook to the internet and within a week it "Windows Protection Suite" hit it. Once it got on the computer it disabled or re-wrote task manager or ???? Anyway it does not work now.

What can I do to get task manager working again? To fully remove "Windows Protection Suite" I need to stop some processes running and without task manager I can't do it. I have edited the registry all I can. I have tried all the different ways to launch task manager, no good. I have built the different files suggested to restart taskmanager, no good.

So, how do I get my taskmanager working again? I don't want to have to reinstall Windows if I can help it.

Thanks,
Larry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:43 PM

Worth a look: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...rotection-suite

If no joy, then I suggest posting at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Louis

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:07 PM

I suggest you to disinfect your PC first as hamluis as already said.

In the meanwhile, for re-enabling Taskmanager, goto Kelly's page here : http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (Number 113 on left side)

#4 princess_sophia

princess_sophia

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

Download sper anti spyware or malware bytes. Super comes with a repair option and malware bytes will detect the disabled task manager and re enable it.But I would run MBAM anyway to clean off win protection anyway.
Welcome to McMalwareCrushers! Would you like to try our ultimate destruction combo for the low low price of FREE?

Over 00000000 satisfied customers!

"If there's a will, there's a way, if not then there is always linux".
"You are never too old to be a kid again".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users