Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer locks up often.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nomofoshobro

nomofoshobro

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:33 AM

great forum, great name. keep up the great work!

had a wonderful bleeping computer moment that i will describe after stating my problem. if you get that far......enjoy!!!

system specs:

P4 2.8 ghz
1024 mb RAM
ASUS P4PE-X mobo
windows XP pro

problem:

i will write what happens when i start up chronologically. perhaps this will most clearly describe what happens. to preface all this, i have done all the virus/spyware/adware scanning and found the basic stuff with adaware, but no viruses. problem persists. so here we go.

power up. initial bios loading screen. drives load normally. windows loading page. windows logon page. i log on with my password. if it is going to lock up, this is where it usually happens. at this point i have to hit reset. i have left the computer alone for some time when it locks and it does not correct itself. so i hit reset. initial bios loading screen. drives load normally. under this i then get one of two messages in an either/or situation. sometimes it says "hardware monitor found an error". i have to hit F1 to continue or DEL to access the bios (i think). i hit F1 and it continues. windows loading screen. sometimes it will lock up here. if not, it continues normally through the logon. 50% of the time the computer will then work properly. the other 50 it will lockup again within about 5 minutes of startup. it has happened in every conceivable situation, from starting a program to opening a folder to just plain sitting there idle. therefore i don't think it is application related. the other message that i get about 25% of the time is "floopy drive failed" and then something about the keyboard not being properly recognized. if i get this message my only option is hitting reset since the keyboard will not function. also, when i get this message and reset, i always get the hardware monitor message. then it continues as i stated above.

thanks for taking the time to read this long first post.

as i said above, i had a "bleeping computer" moment. after typing this entire post once, i thought to myself, "i better save this text just in case the computer decides to lock up." i open wordpad and copy and paste. i pull down the file menu and when i click on "save", the computer locks. had to type it again, of course. not necessarily proof that computers are intellegent, but certainly that they can be a pain in the a**. needless to say, what i came out of my mouth when it happened was more like, "bleeping, bleep, bleep, bleeeeeeep, bleeeping, bleep computer."

let me know if you need any more info.

thanks!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nomofoshobro

nomofoshobro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:18 AM

new development.......

now i am getting a BSOD. after it happened twice i was able to get it going. here is the info that was on the screen.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

at the bottom under techincal info......

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000034, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF775FA18)

IdeChnDr.sys - Address F775FA18 base at F775B000 Datestamp 3cb4d2c0

_____

could this be a problem with the cd drive? i have noticed that sometimes when i start up it will spool up and down reapeatedly.

if anyone knows what this might be i would love to find a solution.

thanks.

#3 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:29 AM

MS on 0x000000D1

Have you got SP1 or SP2 applied?

I think it would also be worth running your hdd manufacturers diagnostic tool to check your HDD is OK.

Have you got the latest drivers for your motherboard?

Have you checked the Asus website for bios upgrades? It could be a bios problem causing the problem look at the bios revision notes and see if they are correcting any major problems.

If you think the CD-Rom is at fault unplug it and see if you still get the same problems.

Also have a look here:

Start
Control Panel
Performance and Maintenace
Admin Tools
Event Viewer
System

Highlight a error then click properties, then click on the link below For more information, see Help and Support Center as this may give you information on how to solve the error.

See these posts
Post 1

Post 1

Post 1

It may be the Intel Application Accelerator causing the problem that's what IdeChnDr.sys appears to relate to.

It might be worth submitting a hijackthis log here to confirm that you aren't infected.

How to submit a hijackthis log

Download Hijackthis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users