Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

False Properties on CD Rom disk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rodell

rodell

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:45 AM

Here's a new one, although may only be the case with me.

I have CD ROM backup disk showing 72.2 mb, about a quarter of its capacity, BUT icon & info SHOW FULL! The Used & Capacity are the same 72.2 mb with 0 bytes FREE.

Appreciate knowing how to correct this without loosing contents.

Cordially, RO

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:56 PM

I'm not sure what an "&amp" is, but I think it's a formatting problem - something you're doing when you write in the forum.

As to the free space, I don't know why it would be reporting wrongly, but if I were worried about it, I would copy the contents to my hard drive and then burn them to a new CD-RW. Did you format the disk prior to use? If you did format it, then the disk will not be empty and you can't just "burn" to it. However, if you did format it, then you can drag and drop files and essentially use the disk like a floppy. However, formatting can make the disk appear "not empty."

It normally takes about an hour to format the CD-RW, but there are a number of programs out there and there are variables. For instance, HP makes some software that will "Fast Format," which means it will start the format, then actually format in the background while you work with the disk. Although you can remove a fast formatted disk from the drive even though it's not completely formatted yet, you can read it on other machines but you cannot write to it on other machines until the format is complete.

Here is a thorough explanation of CD burning.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:22 PM

Any prerecorded disk will show as full when you look at the properties.What disk is this exactly?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 rodell

rodell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:19 AM

Many thanks to Herk & Leurqv for your replies and website referrals.
Unfortunately I'm a long way from XP -- this forum being for W95&98.!

Situation now resolved as W98SE with Toshiba Portege 7200CTe has no CD burner. I've picked up much info along the way as I lacked any experience in the CD Rom area.

Appreciate yourCordially, RO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users