Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to reinstall internal webcam on Vaio, Vista home

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 muzzles

muzzles

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:12 AM

A new hard drive was installed and the internal web cam does not work. I have a Vaio VGN-CR320E and web cam VGP Vcc6. The device manager does not recognize the device. I've gone to sony's support for the driver and I've downloaded it, run it and I receive an error message saying that this driver does not work with Vista. I've also tried to load the .exe driver in safe mode. I've looked for other drivers, I'm not sure what to do next. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

Was this work done under warranty?

The new hard drive came preloaded with the OS?

#3 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:53 AM

the hard drive was preloaded with the OS. I tried to use the original disks supplied with the computer to load the web cam, but the only options were restore, format, hardware check (which only tested cpu). I can take it back, but I was hoping to fix it without having to gie them the laptop for a week+.

Thanks

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:09 AM

Is this the driver you downloaded?

#5 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:59 AM

Yes,

Thanks again for your help

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

Did you read this link entitled "See all applicable models and operating systems." first to check compatibility?

#7 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:42 PM

I though i did.

Model: VGN-CR320E

Operating System(s): Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium
See all applicable models and operating systems.

Note: This utility is only for use with the products identified and sold in United States, Latin America, Canada, or Brazil. Not all models are sold in all countries.

I put the downloaded file into a folder and open as administrator. The file said it installed correctly, then a box appeared saying the file was not compatible with Vista.

I double checked the Vista version and it is home.

Thanks

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:05 PM

SORRY Just caught the part about internal. I believe the wrong preloaded hard drive was installed. It should have already had the software\drivers installed for the cam.

A final thought. Are you running an Anti-virus\other security program?

It is possible it is blocking the install without issuing a warning. But I doubt it.

At this point it you may be well served to go HERE or HERE for more knowledgeable support then I have been able to provide.

Edited by ThunderZ, 29 August 2009 - 01:08 PM.

#9 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

thanks for your thoughts and help.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:16 PM

Was not of much help. :flowers:

Have you looked through the programs list. The software may be there but if it has not been run yet the drivers have not been installed for the cam.

I know that sounds odd but it is my last grasp at trying to look semi-PC literate. :thumbsup:

#11 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

Thanks, I'll look. Is there any way to identify the hardware and then llok for the driver? I was hoping to do that through device manager, but without any luck.

Thanks again.

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

You say device manager does not recognize it. Does that mean device manager shows an unknown device?

Does it show any items with an ? or a ! ?

#13 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

yes, I've looked for it in device manager and it is not there, or i would have tried to reload the driver i think

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:23 AM

yes, I've looked for it in device manager and it is not there, or i would have tried to reload the driver i think

Ok. Just trying to make sure we are in total understanding of each other.

One final suggestion. Though I am doubtful of it`s results. Use the add new hardware option. It will probably not find anything, when asked what it is you want to install, select have disk. Point it to the downloaded driver package. I`ll keep my fingers crossed.

If this fails then the only other options I see are the Help forums\Tech support I linked to in a previous post, or, back to the shop that was supposed to have repaired it in the first place. :thumbsup:

#15 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:29 AM

I was thinking about adding new hardware, but since the file is .exe it wouldn't help vs a .inf. I've been to the sites and will go again.

Thank you for all your help

Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users