Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory out of sync?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nyala

Nyala

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:01 AM

My new laptop suddenly shut down on Wednesday night. No error message, no blue screen, it just shut down. After that it wouldn't boot up - pressing the power button didn't have any effect. It was like it had just died and stopped responding.

So I took it to the shop I bought it from on Thursday morning. They called just now and said they have it all working, and apparently the memory was "out of sync". He asked if I had knocked it in transit, which I certainly hadn't, and in any case when it shut down it was sitting on my bed working perfectly.

Just wondering if anybody can explain what it means for the memory to be out of sync, and what might have caused it to happen so suddenly?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:58 AM

I doubt if there's any solid technical reason behind using such a term. They may mean the memory was physically misaligned in the slot, ie not seated properly, which could explain the inquiry of whether the unit had been jarred. That would mean the memory had only been making correct contact by good luck up until the time it stopped.

When you say the laptop was sitting on your bed, was it directly on soft bedcovers that would have obscured the air vents, causing it to run hot? Laptops should only be operated on hard surfaces such as desks, or supported so that cooling vents are not blocked off. If it got very hot, that alone could make it shut off, but it could also move incorrectly seated RAM by thermal expansion (so-called chip creep).

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Nyala

Nyala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for the explanation, that makes more sense.

I rest my laptop on a book in such a way that the air vents are unobscured but it's steady. It's not exactly high tech but does the job! I did think of overheating but it didn't feel hot to the touch anywhere, and I left it overnight and it still wouldn't switch on in the morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users