Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best AntiVirus

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:13 AM

Which is the best anti virus for a personal computer and not an expensive price?

thanks

EDIT: Moved to more appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 29 August 2009 - 11:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:56 AM

I use Avast, it's free and can be found HERE. I've had it for over a year and had no problems. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

I use Avast, it's free and can be found HERE. I've had it for over a year and had no problems. :flowers:

:thumbsup:

#4 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

Is kaspersky a good anti virus program ?

#5 princess_sophia

princess_sophia

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

Kaspersky is good but get avira.It's free and the better of the three free ones.If you want to pay I suggest drivesentry or GDATA both are very good.
Welcome to McMalwareCrushers! Would you like to try our ultimate destruction combo for the low low price of FREE?

Over 00000000 satisfied customers!

"If there's a will, there's a way, if not then there is always linux".
"You are never too old to be a kid again".

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:29 PM

......avira.It's free and the better of the three free ones........

A questionable statment. :thumbsup:
All depends who`s rankings\test`s you read, believe. The top one changes almost monthly.
The best "ONE" is the one that runs well on your machine and helps you to feel protected all at the same time.

#7 Kenji The Helpful

Kenji The Helpful

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:42 PM

I knida depend on Norton 360 (altought i had to buy it)

But i think theres a 90-day free trail for norton standard.

Plus If you have windows, Windows live OneCare is useful.
♣SoftWare Intermediate♣

#8 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:11 PM

......avira.It's free and the better of the three free ones........

A questionable statment. :thumbsup:
All depends who`s rankings\test`s you read, believe. The top one changes almost monthly.
The best "ONE" is the one that runs well on your machine and helps you to feel protected all at the same time.

Well AntiVir has been consistently higher than Avast and AVG on all the reputable tests I've seen.

#9 jpm1363

jpm1363

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:39 PM

Has anybody heard anything good or bad about Vipre Anitvirus/Anitspyware?

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:01 AM

I have used ZoneAlarm Antivirus (not ZA pro or full suite) for many years and am very happy with it. It includes the regular firewall as well as the operating system firewall that I love. It now uses the Kaspersky scan engine and for me it was well worth the intitial 30 bucks and is well worth the 20 bucks for the yearly renewal.

Best Antivirus is usually a personal decision, it is what works best for your needs and works best on your system. An AV program that works well on one computer can cause problems on another so it is usually a matter or trial and error. Most AV programs do offer a free trial so you can make sure it is compatible with your system before you buy it.

Edited by Stang777, 30 August 2009 - 02:04 AM.

#11 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:00 AM

Has anybody heard anything good or bad about Vipre Anitvirus/Anitspyware?

Nope, I haven't heard of it. I used Kaspersky for a year or 2 and it worked good, but I got tired of paying yearly for it. The Avira Free does not cover email. You have to pay for the not free program and a yearly fee for that.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#12 SteveIT

SteveIT

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:46 PM

There is no such thing as the best virus protection. Most of them are good at one or two things. MalwareBytes is very good at finding and removing Malware and some Trojans. It does not work for Prefetch of rootkit viruses, and most time will not even find them. Trend will find about 3/4 of them but cannot remove a lot of them. I loaded viper and tried it, but it was less effective than Trend. Norton is your best at the moment, but it sometimes is hard to load and upgrade. Right now, I am trying SuperAntivirus and the free version seems to find most viruses, but still cannot clean rootkits or prefetch trojans.

#13 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:45 PM

seems to me that theyre all pretty rubbish.i currently have norton 360 but wont be renewing when subscription runs out.it let antivirus 360 through and is quite expensive

best thing to do probably is to use a free one and dont visit dodgy sites especially p2p

#14 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:02 PM

Yes they are. Im not paying Avira for more than 1 year either. Im really not a MS fanboy but are looking forward to this old question circulating around: why is this better than the free AV I can get from Microsoft? :thumbsup: May be time is up for certain old companies? Who will cry? If it goes like I think they will focus even more on extras and try to make potential users/buyers believe they are needed. Same procedure as last year...

SteveIT. Removal experience is something else. You can evaluate infected or not but be careful judging too quickly on removal. Why does Avira, Dr. Web and others make a rescue/live-cd? They are aware of problems with removal. Sometimes impossible without those cds. Ease of use? Forget it. They are all more or less the same? If you disregard the best and the worst then you are probably right.

#15 lurkynot

lurkynot

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

Perhaps no antivirus at all. Yes you say I may be crazy but I have seen it for more than 1 year plus.

All the time while I have asked these same questions in this thread and reloaded my os 2 or 3 times my son has a machine with vista and it has NO antivirus software installed - windows constantly and annoyingly reminds him and at times myself that there is no antivirus installed - and in the same time I have had to reload XP on my machine his has been flawless. Yes when I run Super AntSpyware - once or twice - it flags things however his system has never been overcome.

I am puzzled however a friend of mine who subscribes to the same DSL provider that I do mentioned without any knowledge of my sons machine with no antivirus that he as well does not run antivirus either.

His theory is that the provider offers antivirus optionally for a fee and believes that it is more work to delienate who pays and who does'nt and therefore does not run any of his own and claims to not have any problems as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users