Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected. Question about Vista Complete PC Backup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 copperhed

copperhed

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:18 AM

Hello.
I am unable to await assistance with my Rootkit infection any longer as it has rendered me computerless. As a result, I have decided to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Vista altogether in hopes of fixing the problem.

I have Vista Home Ultimate and have a few questions regarding data backup, specifically Vista Complete PC Backup, before I do so.

1. Does Vista Complete PC Backup copy any files/registry errors that may be causing my problem currently? IOW, is there a potential risk that this backup may copy the problem along with it?

2. Will Vista Complete PC Backup actually copy programs, program files, etc. such as my music, my saved images, my projects, etc.? Or does it just copy generic settings and Windows parameters?

Finally, is there a better option for me to wipe/reinstall a clean version of Vista with the intention of wiping a Rootkit virus w/o having to backup and copy all my other peripheral programs and their respective files, images, projects, etc.? (I am quite sure none of these peripheral files are the infected culprit)

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Straythe

Straythe

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:34 PM

Hello; please note I am not a staff member here, but perhaps I can help out.

Reformatting is probably a wise decision, what with the carnage being wreaked in AII and HJT by these new rootkit variants. There's a guide to safely backing up your files here (by Blade):

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1405010

He suggests doing a thorough reformat, completely wiping the drive, because rootkits can and do hide in registry entries and System Restore points as well as executables and installers. If you save files to an external drive, run Flash-Disinfector as he suggests, and be careful which files you back up.

I'd suggest asking about Vista Complete PC Backup in the Vista forum, where you may get a quicker response:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/72/windows-vista/

Good luck - Straythe
***"When you surround an enemy, leave an outlet free [...] to make him believe there is a road to safety, and thus prevent his fighting with the courage of despair." Sun Tzu ***

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users