Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One long beep and two short beeps

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeffy87

jeffy87

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:47 PM

The other day, upon trying to start up my PC (specs below in signature), the speakers in my tower started beeping: one long beep and two short beep. I checked online on my laptop and found that the beep code suggests a video card error or a memory error. Well, I took this opportunity to finally replace/upgrade my video card. I went out and bought an NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT to replace my NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT. I replaced the video card and got the same beep error. I tried inserting the new video card in the other PCI express slot on my mobo, and voila!...The computer was able to boot up.

However, I then found out that for some reason, the built-in LAN card on my mobo wasn't being detected by the device manager: with "Network Adapter" not even showing up on the device manager. I was told that my mobo's LAN card was probably fried, and so I decided to buy an inexpensive PCI LAN card to see if it worked.

I shut down my PC, went to the store, bought a PCI LAN card, physically installed it onto my mobo, and tried booting up...only to get the same one long beep and two short beep error code. I've tried:

1. Removing the PCI LAN card from my mobo and trying to boot up the computer with the just the hardware installed exactly like it was before I went to buy the LAN card.
2. Booting up the PC with my new video card once in each PCI express slot
3. Booting up the PC with my old video card once in each PCI express slot
4. Switching my two RAM sticks between their slots
5. Trying only one RAM stick once in each of the two slots
6. Repeated #5 but with my other RAM stick

All of these gave the same one long beep, two short beep error? Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas? Is it possible that my mobo altogether is fried? Thanks in advance!
Computer Specs:
Hitachi HDS721075KLA330
2.0 GB RAM
Windows XP
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
NVidia GeForce 7600 GT graphics card
ASUS A8N-SLI SE Motherboard
ULTRA 600W PSU
Microsoft XP Professional

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

You need to look up the BIOS beep codes for your system...and see what the system is trying to tell you.]

PCGuide - TSX - BIOS Beep Codes - http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/index.htm

Sometimes beep codes are explained in the motherboard manual or the system owner's manual. If not, then look it up directly from the Web, rather than relying on data reflected in an outdated link :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 jeffy87

jeffy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

You need to look up the BIOS beep codes for your system...and see what the system is trying to tell you.]

PCGuide - TSX - BIOS Beep Codes - http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/index.htm

Sometimes beep codes are explained in the motherboard manual or the system owner's manual. If not, then look it up directly from the Web, rather than relying on data reflected in an outdated link :thumbsup:.

Louis

According to the ASUS forums, one long beep and two short beeps indicates a video adaptor error.

For a short period of time after I replaced my old video card, I was able to boot up just fine, but unable to connect to the internet. What baffles me is that the same beep error reappears after merely adding a new PCI LAN card (Lynksys EtherFast 10/100 PCI Adapter) to the mobo.
Computer Specs:
Hitachi HDS721075KLA330
2.0 GB RAM
Windows XP
ULTRA 600W PSU

#4 jeffy87

jeffy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

Shameless bump. Does anyone have anymore ideas?
Computer Specs:
Hitachi HDS721075KLA330
2.0 GB RAM
Windows XP
ULTRA 600W PSU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users