Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loosing connection to some internet sites, but not all

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Lori H

Lori H

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:29 PM

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop computer running Windows XP. I am experiencing Internet connection problems of a very unusual nature. When I first boot the computer up, I can connect to all of my mail servers and any internet site I try to go to. After the computer has been running awhile, the incoming mail servers start to time out, then the outgoing servers. I use two different sets of mail servers, as does my husband. Our settings are identical, but he does not have this problem. When the mail servers start timing out, I also cannot pull up Google due to timing out (always the first website I notice timing out), and other websites follow. Ironically, my MSN messenger has never timed out, and I can usually connect to Facebook, although many of the applications will time out when the connection goes wonky.

I am currently connected to a DSL modem via home wired network. I have wireless available but have the wireless disabled to avoid confusion. Other computers in the house are not experiencing this problem. I have taken the computer to other locations and have the same problem.

I am not very techy, so have not attempted much. I thought the Windows firewall may have been the problem, but disabling it did not help. The connection problems happen regardless of the software used - whether I use Thunderbird or Outlook for email does not matter, using Firefox or IE8 does not help. I had thought that maybe I had a bad install of Firefox, so uninstalled it. Nothing changed and I have not take the time to re-install it. I have updated my Java to the latest version. I am using Symantec AntiVirus v 10.0.0.359.

Running Spybot does not yield anything unusual or unexpected, neither does running a HijackThis scan. I cannot find anything that could be causing this. Again, I'm not very techy, so I do not have a clue what I am looking for. Any help would be appreciated as this is a most annoying thing, and it seem to be happening more frequently. Restarting the computer seems to be the only thing that provides a tempoerary fix, but it usually is not long before things start dropping like flies again.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am at my wit's end (not that it was a far trip for me!) and really would like to figure out what the issue is and fix it.

Lori

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users