Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Resolution and Colors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sarcastikus

Sarcastikus

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:53 PM

Hello,

Ever since I had to restart my system due it freezing-up after downloading AOL Instant Messenger last Saturday (7-16) I've been stuck with 16 colors at 640x480 resolution. I'm using a Gateway EV500 monitor on a Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. system and had never encountered this issue before. My operating system is Windows 98 SE.

I installed a driver from Gateway for the EV500 without any results. I'm trying to return to 1024x788 resolution with High Color (16 bit), but have had no luck. Whether any of this (and a host of other problems that began with the AIM download, which I've since managed to clear up) with downloading AIM I don't know, but it's very suspicious.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated (16 colors REALLY sucks!).

Thanks!
I'd be more apathetic if I wasn't so lethargic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:29 PM

Seems like I've had this problem quite a number of times. Usually, I just tinker with it until I get it right again. Set what you can, restart and set something else. Last time it happened, I went into Safe Mode and attempted to set it there. It then put up a message that said that when I went back into normal Windows it would be set to default and I was able to change it from there. Sometimes, when I've reset the desktop, the icons still look fuzzy in the Quick Launch bar, but they come back on the next restart.

XP seems so much nicer: it wants to automatically set the best resolution for the screen it detects you are using. With all the computers I've repaired, it's always seemed to work well.

#3 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:53 PM

Why don't you try this. Right click the desktop>properties>settings>advanced then click"show settings icon on taskbar."It it works you will have all the available settings to choose from.

#4 Sarcastikus

Sarcastikus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:04 PM

Got it fixed!

I downloaded a new video card driver from Driver Headquarters and that solved the problem.

Thanks!
I'd be more apathetic if I wasn't so lethargic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users