Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To Switch Or Not To Switch

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: What is the best choice based on the info below? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the best choice based on the info below?

1. Win 7 x64 Ultimate (6 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Win 7 x64 Pro (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

3. Win 7 x64 + Linux Distro (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. Win Vista x64 Ultimate (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Win Vista x64 Ultimate + Fedora (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Win Vista x64 Ultimate + Ubuntu (1 votes [5.56%])

7. Win Vista + Another Linux Distro (1 votes [5.56%])

8. Other (7 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 whitedragon551

whitedragon551

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:27 PM

Ok I have Vista x64 Ultimate on my laptop. Ive been contemplating Win7 x64 Ultimate. Although Im not sure if the extras are worth the extra disc space. I cant really think of any of the Vista Ultimate extras that I use. Ive also read that the only real improvement is more Mac like eye candy. I do a fair bit of gaming on my laptop. I havent dabbled with Win7 yet, but I do like some of the new looks. Ive been considering running a dual boot with Fedora or Ubuntu and Vista Ultimate. I havent decided on what to run. I also use my laptop for college.
Current specs are as follows:

Asus M50SV-A1
1440x900 WXGA Native Resolution
3Gbs Ram
Seagate Momentus 5400.4RPM HD 8Mb Cache
NVIDIA 9500GS 512Mb GPU
Realtek HD Audio Card

I also have a built in mic, webcam, and fingerprint scanner. Im concerned my laptop manufacturer doesnt have Win 7 x64 drivers.

Im also concerned that my most common software and games wont work.

This is where my question comes in. Is it worth it to switch to Win7 or should I just keep Vista and dual boot with a flavor of linux?

| Windows Firewall Control | Sophos Antivirus |

| Image for Windows v3.02 | Comodo Dome Shield |

| TysTechTalk.com |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:01 PM

The 64bit drivers could possibly be a problem, but check out the manufacturers sites before you make up your mind to see what is available.

I am running four 32 bit OS on 3 machines. Vista Basic, Vista Premium, and dual booting XP Media Centre Edition with the RC of Windows 7, and I have to say that Win 7 is without a doubt my preferred choice. There are still a few niggles as is to be expected but I won't be hesitating to buy it.

Vista made a start on the self repair of problems but quite often gets nowhere. This feature of Win7 seems to work quite well.

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 28 August 2009 - 06:07 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 whitedragon551

whitedragon551
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:05 PM

The manufacturer has no listings for Win7 at all as far as drivers go.

| TysTechTalk.com |

#4 ellenjanuary

ellenjanuary

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:44 PM

That dang 7 is the best Microsoft product, I'm thinking. I hated Vista. :huh: I'm running with an onboard nVidia 9100 setup, and drivers... I've been through four in the past month, same with the onboard Realtek... So, while I'd say, "switch," the better answer may be "switch later."

Oh, and as for things like security. and utilities like registry cleaners... definitely later. I'm currently running Norton 360 (because I like it) and (because nothing else works.) :huh:

Oh, and another thing... maybe nothing, but I had XP and Ubuntu on my last unit, and read something along the lines of having a partitioned HD was not recommended (cut in performance) unless the HD was larger than 200GB (which was the size of my old one).

-unknowing stuff daily-

#5 whitedragon551

whitedragon551
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:58 PM

My HD is 250Gbs. Ive decided to give Win7 a go. I did a complete backup of my Vista setup with Acronis True Image. Right now Avira Antivir Premium is working fine for me. My firewall is causing some problems. Other than that I have lots of configuring to do and installing.

| TysTechTalk.com |

#6 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:27 PM

It's 'horses for courses' a lot of the time; depends on machine, and one's needs and uses. Me? for the time being:
Sticking with dual boot Vista & Crunchbang Linux. I like trying out new OS but as Linux are free there's no $$$ to worry about.

#7 cocutzamisca

cocutzamisca

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:40 AM

I have an ''antique'' computer,older than yours and still be able to go on with win 7 32bit,with less ram and hdd space.You have also a compatibility program available in win7 and if you can't run an app or program choose to run as vista ultimate within compatibility test.Also most of the games run perfectly on win 7 my kid plays a lot on win 7 because I want to see how it acts.I have only 639 MB ram and 74GB hdd with duall boot with xp home and win 7 is my prefered one. :huh:
cocutzamisca

#8 whitedragon551

whitedragon551
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:12 PM

Seems to be decent. So far the only hiccup I have had was with my internet connection. I couldnt find a resolution for it so I was forced to reinstall. Ill probably be dual booting with Ubuntu or Fedora just for the shear fact that Im going into Computer Networks as my profession down the road. Having some sort of Linux bass is going to be essential.

| TysTechTalk.com |

#9 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

you can run this the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if W7 drivers are available. I'm running x64 and I'm 99% sure this was the tool I used to see if Windows 7 x64 drivers were available.

I can't find the link, but there was also a microsoft windows 7 page that allowed you to select the type of peripheral, manufacturer, model, etc. to see what drivers were certified.

The only thing I had issues with was my Wireless Print Server. Linksys apparently doesn't support ANY x64 systems.

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users