Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot run chkdsk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 awill110

awill110

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:32 PM

I am having the same problem. I get the corrupt file error on most every program that I try to run, though they still seem to go (I ran CCleaner and I got the corrupt file error on the exe for CCleaner, but it still finished the clean and did not report any problems). I cannot run chkdsk /r, so I decided to try Safe Mode, but I get the blue screen of death when I try to run Safe Mode. Is this hard drive dying?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:06 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have recovery/restore disks?

What is the exact wording of any error messages you receive?

Do you have any reason to believe that your system is infected?

What AV program is installed?

Do you have a broadband connection? If so, do you use a router?

In addition to a reliable AV program...what malware-defense programs are installed?

Are all critical updates issued...installed on your system?

Louis

#3 awill110

awill110
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:59 PM

It is a Dell Latitude laptop, about 5 years old.

I have the OS disks, but I have not backed up the computer yet. That is my next step, get as much information as possible backed up.

The exact wording is "CCLEANER.EXE - Corrupt File. The file or directory C:\Program Files\CCleaner is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

The system was infected. I had the "Windows Antivirus Pro" ransomware that I cleaned using Malwarebytes. The error was occurring while the machine was infected, but I was hoping that it was related to the infection.

The machine has AVG Free installed on it and that program no longer updates correctly. It is now asking for a restart after downloading an update, but when I restart it tries to update again and then asks for a restart again. I am planning on uninstalling that program and re-installing to see if that will fix the problem.

This computer belongs to one of my co-workers and I know that she has a broadband connection at home and uses a wireless router.

There are some updates that have not been installed and I will be installing those after I re-install AVG.

Thank you for the reply.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:51 PM

After valued files are backed up, I would try a repair install of the O/S, if such can be done using the Dell recovery disks.

Even when malware is believed to have been "removed" by users, the impact of the malware on system files remains an unknown.

Until problems appear that previously did not exist.

A repair install of XP may be able to take care of such problems...in some cases, a clean install of XP seems to be the only solution.

Uninstalling/reinstalling various applications that appear to adversely impacted...may solve the situation...it's worth a shot. If specific programs are impacted and they are few in number, that's a good approach.

Louis

#5 awill110

awill110
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:10 AM

I repaired the Windows installation and that worked perfectly! Thank you!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:17 PM

Glad that you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users