Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Friend is in dire need of a liver transplant.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:24 PM

A good friend of mine has sudden and complete liver failure. Doctors are saying that if she does receive a liver transplant within days, that she will most likely not survive. If you can please spread this around as much as possible to whoever you know, other sites who may be willing to post the information below, or any other method you can think of, it would be greatly appreciated.

She is getting married on October 15th and we are doing everything we can to make sure she walks down that aisle. Please spread the word.

Local PR Agencies Ask for Help to Save Life of Colleague in Dire Need of Liver Transplant; 31-Year-Old Shari Kurzrok Will Die Unless She Receives Complete Liver Within Days

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 20, 2005--Shari Kurzrok is two months away from her wedding. The 31-year-old PR executive recently spearheaded the largest-ever national blood drive. Today, she is fighting for her life. Her doctors say she will not live if she doesn't receive a complete liver transplant within days, and her colleagues in the PR industry are urgently mobilizing to help her.

"I just pray that what Shari has loved to do for a living comes back to help her," says her fiancee Robby Schnall, 35, a marketing executive at Cole Haan. Their wedding is planned for October 15 at Woodbury Jewish Center in Long Island.

Shari's sudden illness has taken her family, friends and doctors by surprise. She was admitted to New York University Medical Center last weekend, and within 24 hours she was told she needed a liver transplant to save her life. Her illness is still unexplained.

Kym White, managing director of Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide, says the news has shaken Shari's colleagues and friends, as well as the extended communications industry. All are quickly rallying to spread the word through PR and advertising in order to draw attention to Shari's plight. "Shari is a phenomenal friend and colleague, and it is hard to imagine that someone who only recently led the largest-ever blood donor initiative for the American Red Cross with such energy and enthusiasm, is now in vital need of a liver donation."

Shari led the 345-city Save-a-Life-Tour, which featured two convoys that traveled across the country to raise awareness about the importance of regular blood donation and to attract new donors including a younger and more ethnically diverse demographic. The campaign collected more than 3.2 million pints of blood and registered more than 38,000 new potential donors. Kamenna Lee, Director, Sales & Marketing for the American Red Cross, said, "Shari poured her heart, soul and life into one of our largest initiatives and truly helped save lives. I urge the public to help Shari the way she helped so many people."

Shari is a native of Great Neck, Long Island, and the daughter of Gloria and Mort Kurzrok. Her father says, "This is a race against time. We want to draw attention not only to Shari's cause, but also to the urgent, ongoing need that challenge families like us every day."

Potential donors must be Type A or Type O blood. Anyone wanting to help Shari with a liver transplant referral should call: 877-223-3386 or email: liverforalife@yahoo.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:26 PM

She and her family will be in my prayers!

I will also spread the word for you Grinler!

EDIT: So far I have put the news on

Dodge Forum (Dodge Forum Link to Post)

Tech Forums (Link to topic on TF)

Edited by frankie12, 20 July 2005 - 11:23 PM.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:56 PM

I will do all I can to help.

BTW I took it upon myself to pin this.

Edited by Scarlett, 21 July 2005 - 01:29 PM.

Posted Image

#4 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:37 PM

since it won't let me edit my post I have also added the topic to the detroit Pistons message board.

Quick question: does she need a complete liver or just a bit of one?

Edited by frankie12, 21 July 2005 - 12:15 AM.

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:54 AM

Quick question: does she need a complete liver or just a bit of one?

frankie, from the sound of this quote taken from Grinler's initial post, above. It seems that she is in need of a complete liver. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. Would not want the incorrect information to get out.

Her doctors say she will not live if she doesn't receive a complete liver transplant within days,...

Edited by Scarlett, 21 July 2005 - 08:55 AM.

Posted Image

#6 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:07 AM

Yeah that is why i am asking. most of the time people only need a piece of someones liver, but then i saw the sentence that said "complete liver transplant".

Here is a link on Liver Transplants: living donors online

Edited by frankie12, 21 July 2005 - 10:09 AM.

#7 ChrisRLG

ChrisRLG

Anti-Malware Teacher

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:46 AM

Added at Malware Removal.
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?p=17597#17597

Added too, to my prayer list.
May the Lord be with them, victim and family.
ASAP member since 2004 - MS MVP member since 2005
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
My- computer Safety online - Article and others Texruss's Hijackthis FAQ
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."

#8 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:21 PM

Hello Grinler,

I have placed a posting at work where hundreds may see. I wish the best!!!!

diego88

#9 Exspider

Exspider

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:33 PM

Shari sounds like one of those among us that work hard to help others. I'll be praying for her too.
Your friends and the numbers all add up, we're just here to count them.......
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:59 PM

Oh Grinler, I am so sorry for your friend. She sounds like a fantastic woman. I will pray that she finds the miracle she needs. My heart goes out to her.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:53 PM

This is Grinler's wife (Mrs Grinler). Of course the wife of the computer guy cant figure out how to log on under my own screen name from our home computer because its set up to log on directly to Grinler.

Anyway, thanks for all of your support and prayers. For those of you in the NY area, you may have noticed some of the amazing press coverage that Shari has gotten. At any rate, we are all hoping and praying for something to happen fast.

I am replying to answer the question as to whether she is a candidate for a partial liver transplant (ie living donor). Unfortunately, she is not. This makes the situation far more difficult, because the people who would best be able to help are those experiencing their own tragedies.

I am a bridesmaid in her wedding in October and plan to walk down that aisle and be there for her on her wedding day. I really appreciate all your help in posting the message around. THANK YOU!!!!!

#12 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for answering the question about a live donor Mrs. Grinler. I have had other people ask me on other forums about does she need a whole liver or just a piece of one. Now i can tell them the answer.

I am glad to her about all of the press coverage and how you have such a positive attitude about Shari.

I am still putting out the news to many forums and message boards.

Also I have put the news on the MLB Message Boards (MLB= Major League Baseball in case you didn't know.)

Edited by frankie12, 21 July 2005 - 11:14 PM.

#13 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:10 PM

Wow, being gone for a week or so, and I missed all this. I am so sorry. She will be in my prayers as well.

God Speed.

#14 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2005 - 08:47 PM

Please tell Shari to hang in there. She is in very capable hands at NYU. Their transplant program is one of the best. I was in the same condition as Shari and I can positively state that miracles do occur. I had three choices to pick from for my transplant to be done. NYU, Strong Memorial and Pittsburgh. I researched the three of them and found all to be top notch. I chose Strong because of them being closer to my home. NYU was second on my list.

On March 20th., 2003 I had bled out internally and was rushed to a Syracuse hospital where I was brought back to life and stabilized. Once they were sure that I could be transported I was transferred to Strong Memorial in Rochester, NY. The transplant surgeons told me that I needed a cadaver transplant immediately or I wouldn't make it beyond a week. I am B positive and livers of that blood type were not the most common. Five days after I had been admitted to Strong they informed me that an O positive liver which could be used had been located and that the tissue and size matched.

I am now doing quite well since the transplant two years and four months ago. I constantly ask everyone I meet to please consider becoming a donor for it is truly the gift of life. I hope and pray that Shari and her family receive their miracle also.

Donate Life
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2005 - 01:01 AM

This is the real Grinler now :thumbsup: I just want to thank you all for your show of support. It really is amazing what communities like ours are able to do and how the friendships made can not be any more true as is seen now and with Scarlett's niece Alexia.

This has been a trying time for everyone involved and I just wanted to say thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users