Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Security Advice requested from BleepingComp Experts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pepi

Pepi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

My most recent virus is not allowing me to use any of my PC protection programs, can't uninstall them, or reinstall them...I also can't surf the web to get any help as I get redirected elsewhere....every thing I try, it is blocked by this virus...

Although I am confident that the people on this site would be able to help me with this issue, I've opted out and currently in the process of doing a clean install...I have several backup Hard Drives so it's not a big deal...just time consuming and I normally do a clean install once a year anyway.

I would like to ask the experts on this site to help me to prevent future possible infections as best as possible.

I heard something about HOST files but have no idea how to use them.

The programs I do use for PC Security are as follows...

AVG Antivirus, modified installation as described on tweakguides
CCleaner
Lavasoft Ad-Aware
A-Squared Free
Spybot Search & Destroy
SuperAntiSpyware

All free versions and as good as they are, they were not able to help me when visiting a site to obtain a tracklist for a music set I like...I visited this site, allfreedownloadlinks to obtain the tracklist...and viruses, fake scanning programs started to install themselves on my PC

I'm running XP SP3 fully updated, and running Windows Firewall..

Please help me learn more about what FREE programs or applications work best together to prevent stuff from installing itself on my PC when surfing the web.

Thank you kindly for all your help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:40 PM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products)

Further, most people don't understand Spybot's TeaTimer or how to use it and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

A more effective alternative is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

If you use Internet Explorer, I'd also recommend switching your Web browser to Mozilla Firefox (which I use) or Google Chrome.

Edited by Blade Zephon, 28 August 2009 - 04:41 PM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

Always use EXTRA CAUTION when accessing sites that have 'free' in their web address or are offering anything 'free'.

Also, http://www.mywot.com/ is extremely useful. There is a version for IE and one for Firefox.

#4 Pepi

Pepi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the advice so far, please keep it coming. My new clean install is running like a jet and would like to keep it that way.

I'll check out that program and google chrome.

#5 Pepi

Pepi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:42 PM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products)

A more effective alternative is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

If you use Internet Explorer, I'd also recommend switching your Web browser to Mozilla Firefox (which I use) or Google Chrome.

Thanks, the article was really helpful.

Can I still use SuperAntiSpyware along with Malwarebytes? SAS seems to work pretty well for me in the past

I tried to use google chrome but didn't like it, one reason was that I had to change the size of the font each time I visited a website instead of having the same size all the time...

What are the benefits of google chrome security wise?

Edited by Pepi, 29 August 2009 - 03:43 PM.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:50 PM

If you are using the free vers of MBAM and SAS then there is no problem or conflicts. Neither offer real-time protection. When used for on-demand scans run only one at a time and you should have no problems.

Regarding Chrome, used it for a brief time did not care for it. Will leave it to chrome users to speak of it`s merits.

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:11 AM

Not really a malware removal program but used in conjunction with the Bleeping Computer Start Up list at the top of this page the Sysinternals Autoruns program can really speed up your PC by weeding out the programs that aren't needed at start up. Columns to concentrate on are Logon, Services and Winlogon. You can either delete the program or more likely uncheck it so that it doesn't start up with the PC but only on demand. Just put the name of the file into the Start Up list search box here and it will tell you if it needs to be open at start up or not.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#8 Pepi

Pepi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:04 AM

Not really a malware removal program but used in conjunction with the Bleeping Computer Start Up list at the top of this page the Sysinternals Autoruns program can really speed up your PC by weeding out the programs that aren't needed at start up. Columns to concentrate on are Logon, Services and Winlogon. You can either delete the program or more likely uncheck it so that it doesn't start up with the PC but only on demand. Just put the name of the file into the Start Up list search box here and it will tell you if it needs to be open at start up or not.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Thanks for the heads up...I am currently using Autoruns, but not really sure on what I can leave running and what can be unchecked.

I have a bout 50 cyberlink power dvd start ups as well as nero, and I 'm not sure how to determine which can be unchecked or not.

Any help? I'll try that start up list search box you suggested in the mean time but this will be time consuming :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users