Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Virus - help please

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ihatethemags

ihatethemags

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:11 PM

Just a quick call for help. My pc is quite new only got it last year but just started getting problems. Last night i loaded it up and it wouldn't respond when i pointed the cursor and clicked on anything It seems like the screen freezes but I can still move the cursor, sometimes it won't load up and just says starting windows. Last night i ran Mcafee anti virus and took all night scanning it found 15 infected files but when i clicked to fix it i got a blue screen and i had to power off. i can't load up internet as it freezes. I'm now currently backing up my things in safe mode with external hard drive incase i loose it all. I've installed that malwarebytes and click on it to launch it and nothing loading up. I've also downloaded that AVG but won't let me install it in safe mode. Next step format with my xp disc? Is it advisable?

Any help would be much appreciated as I need to get up and running again.
Many thanks
Darren

Edited by The weatherman, 28 August 2009 - 03:44 PM.
Moved from XP to a more appropriate forum. Tw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Straythe

Straythe

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

Hello, please note I'm not a staff member here, just another ordinary member that reads a lot.

If you're already backing up your files, make sure the backups are clean. There's a guide here on what to save and how to use Flash-Disinfector to protect your external drives (by Blade):

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1397900

Good luck - Straythe
***"When you surround an enemy, leave an outlet free [...] to make him believe there is a road to safety, and thus prevent his fighting with the courage of despair." Sun Tzu ***

#3 ihatethemags

ihatethemags
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:03 PM

Please I need help! I need to get my computer working again. Can someone point me in the direction of some free anti virus programmes which I havent already mentioned.
Thanks

#4 ihatethemags

ihatethemags
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

Anybody online?

#5 Straythe

Straythe

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

It's pretty crazy around here right now with all the new rootkit infections going on. Let me see if I can help...

You might be able to run Malwarebytes if you rename it, either in its folder or by uninstalling and re-installing it under a new name. Please see this guide by Computer Pro:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1395044

If you can get it to run, then you can post a log here. If it still won't run, please let us know. I'll defer to those more knowledgeable from this point.

Good luck - Straythe (not a staff member)
***"When you surround an enemy, leave an outlet free [...] to make him believe there is a road to safety, and thus prevent his fighting with the courage of despair." Sun Tzu ***

#6 ihatethemags

ihatethemags
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:03 AM

Hi thanks for your reply. I still can't get malwarebytes to run even when I rename it. I still just get the hour glass for 2 seconds then thats it. I have only ever managed to get 2 virus scans working. The first was the doc web one which I ran 2 days ago I didnt think about writing down the results but when I fixed the infected files (which I remeber a trojan being hid in a folder similiar to the name of win32) my computer was then okay when I rebooted in normal mode. Then I thought I would install AVG for future safety but then it crashed half way through and had all the problems again. So then I used doc web again to try and solve it but would only make me download the 30 day version and wouldn't install in safe mode. I am having a lot of trouble installing these in safe mode but it's my only option.

The second scan which I managed to get working was ESET Online Scan http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/.
Took a while to scan but I got these results:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\erxepotqouqduwmc.sys a variant of Win32/Olmarik.LF trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
Operating memory Win32/Olmarik.IJ trojan contained infected files

I told it to fix infected files. But I still can't load up in normal mode. On one re-attempt of starting up windows in normal mode I got a blue screen with the message: The windows process terminated unexpectedly with a staus ..(this bit was unreadable as it continued off the screen) .. the system has been shut down.

I hope this might be a good starting point for you good guy to help me!

Best regards
Darren

Edited by ihatethemags, 30 August 2009 - 02:10 AM.

#7 ihatethemags

ihatethemags
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:24 AM

I'm now on the verge of a reformat.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:22 AM

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\erxepotqouqduwmc.sys a variant of Win32/Olmarik.LF trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined

That is what I would do, honestly
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 Straythe

Straythe

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:49 AM

In most cases, that's the safest and quickest option. Some infections can't be completely repaired, or it takes a huge amount of effort to even try. Looks like "throwing in the towel" is the way to go.

To help insure that the reinstall is clean, Blade's tips for a thorough reformat are here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1405010

Good luck and take care - Straythe

#10 ihatethemags

ihatethemags
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

Hi all. I threw in the towel and took your advice of a re-format. Re installed all my drivers from the original discs. All is working great. Could you now advise me on the best free anti virus program which I can install which will inform me of any virus (like I had previous) and destroy immediately as I don't want to go through all this again.

Thanks for your time it is much appreciated.
Darren

#11 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

Avira is a good free anti-virus. Malwarebytes and SUPER Antispyware is a good Antispyware. Avira provides realtime protection, whilest MBAM and SUPER do not. These required the paid version. If you do not want to pay for them, then I recommend a scan with them at least once a week.
Computer Pro

#12 ihatethemags

ihatethemags
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

Thanks computer pro, I chose Avira. Hopefully will keep the computer safe from now onwards.

#13 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

Ok
Computer Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users