Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive failure and data recovery

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wildbull

Wildbull

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

I have a HD that has gone down and doesn’t spin. Has anyone here used a recovery company with any success? If so who and does anyone have any idea on a fair price that I should expect to pay?
Thanks
Bill

(Moderator edit: expanded Topic Title. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 28 August 2009 - 07:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:07 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

How do you know that it's the hard drive? I mean...does the system boot...does it power up? Did you run a hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive?

Laptop or desktop?

If the system doesn't boot...how do you plan to utilize recovery software which has to be installed in XP?

Do you have access to a second system?

If the hard drive is physically damaged...recovery software may not work.

If by "recovery company" you mean one of those outfits that charges money to recover data for you?

Louis

#3 Wildbull

Wildbull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

It is a desk top computer and it will boot up to the Pentium III screen and that's all. I have opened the computer up and the hd doesn't spin. I put another hd in to check it and its ok. I am talking about a company where you send the hd and they recover the info for a fee.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

Before I took the step you explained...I would try at least 2 things:

a. I would attempt to run a manufacturer's diagnostic on that hard drive.

b. I would try either free or paid versions of recovery software, which may save you money spent executing your intent.

Data recovery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_recovery

Louis

#5 Wildbull

Wildbull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:14 PM

Thanks I will try that, if I understand you I need to go to WD website download diagnostic program burn to cd and then start the computer with the disk in tray. Is this correct?
Thank you

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:21 PM

In Louis absences I will say "yes" for him.

Your :thumbsup:

#7 BigJohnny

BigJohnny

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

put it in a good air tight bag, stick it in t he freezer, I can't remember the amount of time but you can look it up.

It may last long enough to get your data off..... it's weird i know, but it does work from time to time depending on why the drive is dead.

Otherwise there is a place by me that has the capability to scan the platters directly with a machine and recover data.... it's about $180, but that was a few years ago when I checked.

they are called PCD or PC diagnostics, london ontario.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users