Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with Rogue.WindowsAntivirusPro and more..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 capsads

capsads

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

Hello,

This morning after logged in my workstation I got the nasty welcome of like 20 popups from the infamous AntiVirus pro spyware.

So I restart in Safe mode, updated and run MalwareBytes that found the follwing spyware:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2708
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 (Safe Mode)

8/28/2009 2:07:03 PM
mbam-log-2009-08-28 (14-07-03).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 108711
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 19 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 7
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 12

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{76dc0b63-1533-4ba9-8be8-d59eb676fa02} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{76dc0b63-1533-4ba9-8be8-d59eb676fa02} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\antippro2009_100 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\antippro2009_100 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Win AntiVirus Pro (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Windows antiVirus pro (Rogue.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ANTIPPRO2009_100 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command\(default) (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: (C:\WINDOWS\system32\desot.exe "%1" %*) Good: ("%1" %*) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dddesot.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\desot.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\svchast.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\msvcm80.dll (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\msvcp80.dll (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\msvcr80.dll (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows AntiVirus Pro\Windows Antivirus Pro.exe (Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bennuar.old (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sonhelp.htm (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysnet.dat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\ppp3.dat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\ppp4.dat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

After i cleaned this crap i restarted in normal mode re-run MalwareBytes that didn/t found nothing, so I tought that I wsa clean but after a couple of hours again the infamous AntivirusPro pop-up again! I restarted again in safe mode and run MalwareBytes that found again the same malware than before that I tought i had clean.

Please help me clean my system hoping of not having been rootkitted, Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check only the Files box: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 capsads

capsads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

Hi Budapest and thank you for your help

I got some time this weekend so I was able to clean up this very annoying crap. I will post how I did so maybe it will help someone else with the same infection, sorry about my English.

Initially MalwareBytes was not able to clean the infection even if he detected and cleaned the various Trojan.FakeAlert, Rogue.WindowsAntiVirusPro etc.. they eventually keep coming back after a reboot or after a random period. The problem Was that MB did not detected that I was Rootkitted and the hidden services was still active and happily downloading his payload.
I skipped MB and used Sophos AntiRootkit that detected a lot of hidden registry key and various hidden dll and .sys i don't remember the name because Sophos Anti-Rootkit doesn't have an history log, but anyway it was something very easy to spot like kbiwkmmtnfhwki.sys. So I let Sophos clean those files reboot and then run again MB that detected a niow visible key in the register "Trojan.TDSS" but MB wasn't able to clean this key that was probably locked by some other process. So i run Gmer that detected more hidden .sys file unfortunately I did't have saved the log but the bnames was very similar to the one before "kbiwkmmtnfhwki.sys" i delete with Gmer those files and after that MB was able to remove the registry key.

I monitored and rescanned the PC for the last 2 day and there is no trace of infection, so far it looks clean and stable.
I hope that this may be of help

Dario

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users