Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Re-install XP on Gateway laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cpstrong2

cpstrong2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:06 AM

I previously had one of the Win32.Virut. viruses on my laptop and I installed ESET NOD then later on BitDefender to remove it but since then alot of software stopped working and I was getting errors when I tried reinstalling some of the software I previously had on my laptop. I decided to reinstall windows and start over since I already had all my data stored elsewhere. The problem now is that my laptop has a built-in recovery partition that reinstalls windows without a cd and when I try to use it, the process starts up and I get this error------
-----
-----
---->

F11

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034
(0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

Even when I use the Gateway OS Disc that came with the laptop, I get that same message.

I downloaded a Windows XP cd to try and bypass the internal reinstallation process but when it loads up and begins the process I then get this error

Windows XP Professional Setup

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, Press F3

I found this even stranger because the system loads up like normal and operates as normal since I removed the virus over 6 months ago. I personally would like to use some of my previously installed software as well as use newer ones but I cant do that because XP is not being re-installed on my laptop. ANY SOLUTIONS

Gateway MX6959
Bios: Phoenix Tech LTD ver. 77.08 10/27/2006
1GB RAM (Upgradable to 2GB)
Intel® Core™2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz
Windows XP Media Center (Professional) SP3
Philips DVD+-RW SDVD8820

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:21 AM

Not sure why the error when attempting to install from the recovery partition. First suggestion is to contact Gateway tech support. At the very least they should be able to send you the recovery CDs at a minimal cost.

How ever, I looked up the specs to your lap top. It has a SATA hard drive. When installing XP (not sure where you got it from?) it requires drivers to to be preloaded for the SATA interface.

They should be downloaded from the Gateway site for you specific make\model\OS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users