Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista x64 freeze up on start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Terrifina

Terrifina

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:38 AM

Morning all. I'm new and here because of an ongoing problem from day one with my windows Vista OS. I'm computer literate enough to follow most guidance, but not overly confident with really explicit monkeying with registries and such. Sorry! The HW/OS sitch of my set up is:

Hardware - Gateway FX7029E, quad core, 500G HDD, 4G DDR2 Dual Chan, 2.5 G Hz, NVIDIA 8800GT. No TV Tuner inst. Have a Hitachi 1T HDD and Iomega 320G HDD back up running.
OS - Windows Vista 64 Premium w/SP1

Okay, hope that gives enough detail. So the problem -

Got this system about a year ago, OS already loaded. Everything ran beautifully, fast, reliably for about a week. Then - something happened. I have no idea what (sorry about my ignorance), but one day I booted it up in the morning and it froze in the boot sequence. Just stopped, black screen, cursor froze in the upper left corner (not flashing). Nothing internally moving, just stopped. Figured it was a glitch and left the room for an hour. Came back, still nothing. Started hitting keys, any sequence, to snap it out. Zilch. Finally, unplugged the power source for 30 minutes (after about 3 hours of frozen time). After plugging it back in, it was still frozen exactly as it had been. I left the room (because I wanted to pick it up and drop it). About an hour later I heard the start up tune play, and sure enough, it had magically come to terms with itself somehow and was waiting for me to log into explorer.

Since then, this has happened to me numerous times. So much so that I barely notice it now - I just power it down for a minute and re-fire it back up and leave the room. It usually comes to terms within an hour or so and I resume my happy computing. (Maybe ignoring it will make it go away? LOL) Every time it has to restart for any reason it takes forever for it to reboot. I'm talking potentially hours sometimes.

Well, yesterday something really went wrong and it simply would not boot up. I have no idea what I eventually did to get it going again, but it took me all day and part of the evening to get it into boot sequence. I've checked the start programs, task manager for what's running in the background, all I can think of to try and solve this. When it is working (like now) it's really fast and steady and no glitches. It does not crap out when using certain programs or applications, it all seems to be centered on the start up sequence.

Can anyone offer any assistance or help? I'm really getting worried one of these days it'll shut down and that will be the last time! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:19 AM

When it freezes, make a note as to where in the process it freezes. What's the last line of text you see
Another thing is to look into the Event Viewer right after it happens and see if the last entry will give you any clues
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users