Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:32 AM
Thanks in advance for your assistance! I sincerely hope YOU can help....
My son’s laptop (Win XP) acquired a virus…actually a rootkit called Protection Systems. I have been attempting to get rid of it for 4 days now with no success HOWEVER I suspect now I am in a position that you can assist me. Here is what I have done using my PC and a flash memory that I transferred between machines:
1. My first step was to attempt to use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on it but that did not work. The rootkit shut it down.
2. Then I tried HijackThis, unsuccessfully. Shut it down.
3. Then I heard about a beta product called RootRepeal and tried that. Unsuccessful again! It shut it down and produced a blank log file.
4. So, I contacted the author of RootRepeal (initials AD) and asked for his advice. He said I may have a particularly lethal rootkit. So…
5. He sent me a link to another program he’s written called Win32kDiag, I was successful today running that (!) and produced a log file. I can supply it when you're ready. He suggested I contact you with the log file and get your wisdom as to what steps I might now take to rid the laptop of the rootkit.
So, here I am, hoping you can help!