Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Win XP Through DOS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 malruxia

malruxia

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:04 PM

I accidently deleted a file and now my computer always stays "Loading User Settings" I went into Safe Mode and the computer idles at 100% and then pretty much freezes up. I tried to install with out having explorer run and just use task manager and run a new task but that didn't work. I created a boot disk to get into DOS and everytime I enter D:\setup.exe (which I thought was the right prompt) I get "Bad Name". I'm very fustrated right now and have no idea what to do. Can anyone help or should I just start swinging my baseball bat at the computer? I do not want to format but will if no other options available.

Thank you,

Malruxia

Edited by malruxia, 20 July 2005 - 05:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:45 PM

I'm going to assume you are using XP. You can run a Repair install from your XP CD. Xp boots from the CD to reinstall. See How to Repair Install on that page.

Edited by Leurgy, 20 July 2005 - 05:45 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 malruxia

malruxia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:53 PM

It does not boot to CD it boots to floppy or directly to Start Screen. I was able to start the setup process but it has frozen after entering the SN. Also will not let me format. I typed in format c: and nothing happened. I have gotten "Invalid Drive" when I type anything to d: or c:

Malruxia

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:59 PM

You need to go into the Bios (Press Del to enter setup) and set the CD drive as the first boot device. Look for Boot Menu or Boot order.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 malruxia

malruxia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:06 PM

Did not work. Thanks for your help. I'm going to call a repair guy. Bye bye hard earned money.

Malruxia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users