Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help building for video editing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brandonnicholson

brandonnicholson

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:06 AM

I have about 450 right now, not looking to go past 600 really due to not enough hours at my job. I plan on running adobe programs like photoshop, premiere, and after effects. Really don't know much about building computers or what brands i should get. So far i have a motherboard, harddrive, and processor picked out. And someone reccomended me a video card. Nothing is final so if you feel that i should change something then just say so.
Harddrive, Motherboard, video card, processor. Links are always good too, thanks.

Edited by brandonnicholson, 28 August 2009 - 02:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:35 AM

Just curious...have you been to any of the Adobe forums...to see what other users are utilizing to satisfy their editing needs?

Since you intend to use Adobe software, seems like a ready-made source of ideas that have some experience behind them.

Louis

#3 brandonnicholson

brandonnicholson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

No i have not. I actually didnt even think about that. I was told to come here by someone.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:50 AM

LOL...this is a great site, but it's not the only source of valuable information about the various aspects of computing.

I based my response on the steps that I took before I decided to buy my first capture card and delve into video editing. I read a lot, visited the Adobe forums (even though I have never/will never use Adobe graphics/video software) and then decided what my hardware requirements might be to achieve my end purpose.

It's not like just going out to buy a camera (which is complicated enough) and it saves a lot of potential frustration, IMO, if I can learn from the mistakes, dislikes, likes, etc. of others who are attempting/doing that which I aspire to.

After all was said & done, I came to the conclusion that any system will allow video editing...the variable was how fast the editing took place and the quality/quirks of the software I would use.

The software is important because it is what actually does the work, enabling the rendering of video. Along with the software, I find that the maximum amount of RAM (2-4GB) is a big factor.

With multicore processors today...it just seems logical to me to build on the experiences of others...before I commit myself to any particular hardware and/or software.

Well-intentioned persons will provide opinions about many things on the Web, not all of them are accurate or free from personal bias. That bias is ameliorated somewhat when one gathers a wide, diverse array of opinions...before deciding to spend cash for anything, IMO.

I will also mention that there is a fair amount of data out there regarding rendering times/differentials for various processors when it comes to video editing.

FWIW: A video card is important for gamers...it's not important at all for video-editing. RAM is the most important hardware item, IMO. Any multicore processor...is bound to yield faster results...than a non-multicore...but it won't process any better. You decide if the speed differential is important.

Louis

Almost forgot...you don't seem to include RAM in your list of components you have decide upon.

#5 brandonnicholson

brandonnicholson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. I know i need it and what ram would be compatible that's why i didn't include it. Im working with HD footage so for ram i would probably go 4GB minimum. And a lot of people that i've seen talking about building computers for editing say they basically build a gaming computer. I know you can edit on any computer i am currently running a not so good dell inspiron laptop.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

If you are going to go 4GB of RAM or higher...then by all means, don't plan on using XP...regardless of bit-version. I would just start using the RC1 for Windows 7, if you already have it (I don't know if keys for it are available any longer)...then I would switch to the Win 7 version currently expected by some to be released in 50 days or so.

How do you plan on introducing these video files into the system? I also see no mention of a capture card. Or PSU (important).

Louis

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:43 PM

One other suggestion. While the graphics card is a good one. IMO, one with a Gig or better should really get the job done. This would relieve stress on the system over all by not needing to swap so much between system memory\hdd.

#8 brandonnicholson

brandonnicholson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:54 PM

I don't have windows 7 and i don't like vista. I will be getting the footage onto the computer with a firewire chord.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

If you intend to run XP...then 4GB is the max amount of RAM that 32-bit XP will support.

To utilize more RAM with Windows, you need a 64-bit O/S.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users