Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Install/Run Anti Virus Scans

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bebop10

bebop10

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:56 PM

Hey guys, I think I may have a serious problem. Earlier today I received a virus, I know because windows defender informed me of infections, and another, new, virus scanner was installed randomly. Knowing I had never downloaded this scanner I deleted, but I cannot recall the name. Anyways, very soon after I got the Blue Screen, and it said something about a program interacting with a driver and my computer had to be shut down immediately. I rebooted and tried virus scans but none work, not even Mcafee. I had MalwareBytes installed and that didn't work either. I've followed the instructions for reinstalling MalwareBytes as directed in another thread, "Can't install anti-virus". None of that seemed to work, I may have done it wrong... but I believe I followed the instructions correctly. I attempted an online scan with Trend Micro HouseCall, which failed to remove the virus. I attempted to run a scan on windows live, but the virus renamed/moved Internet Explorer and I cannot reinstall/locate it. Please help guys I would much appreciate it!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bebop10

bebop10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

Please help

#3 bebop10

bebop10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

Hey guys, I'm new here but this looks like a great place to start looking for help.

I posted in a different forum and got no response, so I think I may have posted in the wrong forum.

Anyways, my problem is that I cannot install or run any anti-virus and my computer is having many more errors than normal now, I've tried advice from different sources but none of it has helped. Maybe someone here could help me solve this?

Thanks!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:32 AM

See if you can create a DDS log:

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

The HJT team is very busy and it will take awhile to get to your post
Please be patient and good luck

If you cannot run the scan, post back here

Edited by garmanma, 29 August 2009 - 10:33 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 bebop10

bebop10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

I can't run the scan. I can start the program, the black prompt appears, and about 2 seconds later it closes.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

Please download runscanner.zip and save to your desktop.
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called Runscanner (C:\Runscanner) and extract (unzip) the file there.
    (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)
  • Double-click Runscanner.exe to launch.
  • Select Beginner mode and click Ok.
  • Select Do a full scan and save a log file (default is Full Scan) to start.
  • Please be patient and do not use your computer during the scan.
  • When the scan is complete, a window will open asking you to save runscanner.run. Click Cancel.
  • Another window will open asking you to save runscanner.log.
  • Save it to your desktop and "Save as type: Runscanner log file [*.log].
  • The log file will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Go to the top menu, click on "Format" and uncheck "Word Wrap" if checked.
  • Copy and paste the contents of the log file into a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here.
  • Exit Runscanner when done.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run. If Runscanner did not work, then reply back here.
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 bebop10

bebop10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

The scan did not work, it started and I followed your instructions but soon after start it canceled and I am not able to run it again.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:34 PM

See if this scan will run
If it does and you can post, be sure to mention nothing else will run

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal[*]Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
[*]Open Posted Image on your desktop.
[*]Click the Posted Image tab.
[*]Click the Posted Image button.
[*]Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
[*]Push Ok
[*]Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
[*]Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
[*]Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.
[/list
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users