Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 michaelbrian

michaelbrian

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

Hello, I'm a low level geek and have enjoyed reading through posts here. I've been putting together components for a new build. Only my third in the last 6 years. The one thing that I need a little help on is the power supply. I want to get something that will do the job well without going overboard. I've kept things pretty simple and within a budget, really don't do anything to complex at all. Thanks for your help.

AMD Phenom II X4 810
ASUS M4A78T-E
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS
Samsung SH-S223B DVD Burner
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit
Simple but adequate video card soon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:53 PM

A quality 450W should do nicely. A little larger is fine and gives some headroom for future additions. Another hard drive, optical drive. Also any non-self powered USB devices you may have or get.

#3 michaelbrian

michaelbrian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:53 AM

Thanks, Are there any brands you suggest or would stay away from?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:36 AM

At this point I will hope someone will jump in with suggestions\recommendations.

Has been several years since I have purchased a PS. Not really sure who gives the best bang for the $$$ anymore.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:08 AM

I'm partial to Seasonic
Antec, OCZ, Thermaltake, Corsair

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?...=Power-Supplies
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

Thanks Garmanma.

Will tuck away those suggestions in my personal notes for a future build currently in the planning stages.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

One thing to consider when purchasing a PSU is that there really isn't any such thing as being too large, the PSU will only use what is needed and the rest remains in reserve. A good rule of thumb is that when in doubt about how much you need, go larger.

One figure that I always like to look at when searching for a new PSU is its efficiency rating, 80% or higher is best.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 michaelbrian

michaelbrian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:19 PM

Thanks again, what a great forum. I think I made up my mind on this one. Don't see where I can go wrong.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139004

#9 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:12 AM

Thanks again, what a great forum. I think I made up my mind on this one. Don't see where I can go wrong.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139004

Good choice. I have used the Corsair 450VX and the HX620 in dozens of builds without a single power related issue.

#10 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:36 AM

Just to add, the Corsair 520HX is also a very good PSU too, and it's about $20 more than the one linked. I use it myself and it's does a great job(Modular is a nice thing to have).
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users