Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Taking my laptop to University and connecting to the net

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Frogbah


  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:59 PM

Hi guys :thumbsup:

I am going to University in September and all of the dorm rooms have an Internet connection. I want to take my laptop but am unsure as to how it will work as they supply the connection. Does this mean I have take my broadband box with me? Or will I need an internal modem in my laptop?

Any help appreciated, I realise I'm thick lol :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 Leurgy


    Voted most likely

  • Members
  • 3,831 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Collingwood, Ontario, Canada
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:07 PM

Its highly unlikely you will be using a dialup connection at University. If they use broadband they will likely supply what you need to connect. Many Universities provide hotspots for wireless connections these days so you may need a wireless card if the laptop doesn't already have one.

Perhaps you should ask them, or look in the literature you have to see what you need. Good luck in your studies. :thumbsup:

Edited by Leurgy, 20 July 2005 - 04:07 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

 Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 luci2a


  • Members
  • 171 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:London UK
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:03 PM

Hi Frogbah
My daughter is at uni here in the UK, and she has an ethernet connection, which is pretty standard here I think.
Before she started at the university they wrote saying she would need to supply her ip address (start | run | cmd | ipconfig /all) and they then supplied the ethernet cable. All the rooms in college have an ethernet socket. Everything was supplied by the uni, and the IT department provided any necessary support.
There really is no need to worry!
If you are the type of person who likes to work in Starbucks, you can always pay for a hotspot there, providing that your laptop has wireless capability.
have fun!
Luci2a :thumbsup:

Edited by luci2a, 20 July 2005 - 05:09 PM.

#4 jgweed


  • Members
  • 28,473 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago, Il.
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:46 PM

Most universities have an IT department listed somewhere on their website; you can either send an email to it asking your questions, or look in the university freshman guide for details.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users