Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking problem. Pease help asap! thanks!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 huyvu90

huyvu90

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

I moved a working network to another building and now I can't access the internet even though everything is hooked up the same way! Please help. Here's how the network is laid out.

There is a 4100 speed stream dsl modem and it's connected to
eth0 of the PIX 506E Firewall. Eth1 of the PIX then gets connected to a netgear router LAN port #1. The netgear router LAN port 2 is then connected to a switch. Please notice that the netgear router WAN port is open (i know it's a wierd config but I didn't do it). The switch has one PC running server 2000 and 5 workstation connected to it. I can access shared files located on the server PC but I can't access the internet.

here are some facts about the network:

1. The Dsl modem works. I connected a laptop directly to it, set the ppp password/user in the modem and I can browse the internet. The correct user name and password is saved in the modem.

2. Speedstream dsl modem is set to "use public IP address"

3. The dsl modem does not want to log on when it's connected to eth0 of the PIX firewall. The dsl light on my modem keeps blinking. Solid means it is connected. The modem log on fine if I connect a laptop directly to it instead of the PIX firewall.

4. When the modem is connected to eth0 of PIX firewall and the dsl light blinks, I cant access the internet but I can access ATT's password tool page. when I try to browse google.com, I would get redirected to att's password tool page with an error message saying that my password is incorrect. The modem's dsl light blinks when this happens.

I theorized that the PIX firewall is somehow resetting the PPP user and password that I set in the modem. If I can access att's help page, then it means that my link to a remote server (att) is good. It's just that I can't access google.com because I don't have the right user name and password.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:25 AM

Which device is making the PPPoE connection? Have you looked inside the PIX software to see if its making the connection and if so can you turn it off from making the connection and let the router do it? I have little experience with the PIX so I am just spit balling lol.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 lanket

lanket

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

well, your gettting to your modem, maybe a reset on the modem, could not find defaults credentials. Also, have you tried powering down the cisco and booting it back up?

#4 huyvu90

huyvu90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:19 PM

problem solved. The cisco firewall is a pppoe client so I updated the credential in the cisco firewall and it worked. Before I updated the credential in the modem but that didn't work because the ISP used the credential in the firewall.

#5 huyvu90

huyvu90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

So what's the advantage of letting the firewall submit the credentials instead of the modem itself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users