Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

partitioned drive problems?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 robway

robway

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

ok, i got my laptop from a friend who upgraded. he had the hard drive partitioned into 2. one for system files and other for everything else. he only put 13.9 gb on the system and that partition is near full (around 90mb left). the other partition is 40gb and is mainly free. is there a way i can direct windows to run off the other drive. (example my cd burning software wont let me burn cds or i cant install/update programs.) i have deleted the programs i dont use and useless files on the system drive.everytime i free up space it disapears and gets used by something i dont know of. can someone help or do i have to start from scratch and reinstall windows/reformat hdd??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:06 PM

If you right click on My Documents>properties, you can move it over to the D drive.

Windows can get very bloated, but cleaning it up is an advanced skill.

Another tip is create a My Programs folder on the D drive, uninstall programs then reinstall to D

You'll need about 6 gigs free to effectively defrag C

Have you run disk cleanup?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:14 PM

You could also use a tool like Easeus Partition Master to move space from one partition to the other, http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm.

Louis

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:18 PM

You could resize the partitions using Gparted.

#5 robway

robway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

yes i have ran disk clean up....it doesnt free up anything really. where is the option to move the my documents to drive d? also i have found that my virus protection is using a big part of my c drive (like 6gb)...can i make that run off the other partition? (Norton Anti-Virus 2006 v12.8)

#6 robway

robway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

i will try Easeus Partition Master b/c i cant burn cds at the current moment because of space issues. thanks

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

also i have found that my virus protection is using a big part of my c drive (like 6gb)...can i make that run off the other partition? (Norton Anti-Virus 2006 v12.8)

:thumbsup:

IMO, there is something terribly wrong with that. Not a Norton user but just checked my AV of choice. Program folder size is under 93MB.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

I once found a few gigs being used by spybot, the computer had infections and every morning spybot ran a scan and quarantined more files, this went on for years.

With 90 MB left windows is crashing and can't give an accurate report on any size, do a defrag analysis and you'll see what I mean.

Edited by DaChew, 27 August 2009 - 09:15 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 robway

robway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:09 PM

ill have to check into the spybot idea. i did use Easeus Partition Master and solved most my problems. thanks hamluis! i just transfered 15gb over to my c drive and everything runs fine. thanks for your help!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:19 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users