Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer makes clicking sound at startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Thomas 098

Thomas 098

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:45 PM

Recently my computer (desktop running Windows XP Pro SP 2) began to make a clicking sound at start up. It makes the sound until the boot up is complete and a program or browser is opened. It stops and does not come back. In addition, if I restart the computer it makes the sound for several seconds, then beeps and I get the message:

Pri Slave HDD error Press F1 to resume.

Whn I press F1 it starts clicking again and boots up. When I open a program or browser the sound stops.

I do have two hard drives. A new hard drive was installed about a year and a half ago to increase my storage. The person who installed it for me left the other drive (which was about 4 years old) in for storage, which I have never used. Would this be considered the Pri Slave HDD? If so, I am wondering if the old drive is failing. If this is the case is there a way I can disable the old drive from starting up or will I have to physically discoonect inside the case.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

A hard drive probably ought to be physically disconnected if you don't intend to use it for anything on a system.

Such a drive can only cause problems...because the BIOS detects it (although it's useless) and, in turn, XP detects it because it's gotten past the BIOS recogntion and is properly formatted/partitioned.

Just physically remove it and it cannot impede anything...dying/dead drives which are attached to a system...may ultimately prevent booting into XP.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users