Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Thing Just Happened To My Monitor Display?.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:21 PM

As you can see from the screenshot something weird just happened to my Hansol 730E monitor display. I was browsing the forums here when suddenly it was as my monitor went all fuzzy and weird, shrank into the middle expanded again with all mixed up lines and then went blank. I haven't installed anything lately just my regular programs that I have always used with no conflicts. I thought at first my monitor had gone kaput but as you can see I have a picture of sorts. It was set at my normal setting of 1024 x 768 but when I first rebooted the picture was so expanded I could not access the start panel or see the clock as they were both off screen. I was able to right click on the screen and choose properties and change it to 800 x 600 which gave me enough to be able to operate the PC. My Hansol owners manual said for "edges of the display are not square" the fix was to use the Side Pincushion to correct but I tried and it has no effect. Can anyone look at the screen shot and perhaps tell me what is wrong and perhaps how to fix it?. When I scroll the screen has the effect as if it was going round a drum if you can understand that. I just checked the picture on the link which is much more curved at the sides than shown.

Posted Image

Edited by bluesjunior, 27 August 2009 - 03:22 PM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:23 PM

Have you checked you graphics card driver in device manager?

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for the reply Thunder7,
I uninstalled my graphics card to check if that was the problem and it made no difference. So I have to go on the premise that it is the monitor. I still had the same concave looking at something through the side of a bottle type effect. I am wtiting this minus graphic card and the effect looks more pronounced now as you can maybe see on the screenshot below. It is strange but the screenshots are not showing the full extent of the curve on the sides. The top and bottom of the Firefox screen are straight but the sides go from the top and bottom left and top and bottom right of the firefox screen are at max width while in the centre left and centre right the is a whole 10mm gap from the edge of the screen. Never having a busted monitor before, is it possible that the monitor could be gone but still able to show a picture?.

Posted Image
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:56 PM

Does sound like a monitor adjustment gone bad. I can picture the setting you are speaking of...just not the proper name. :thumbsup:

If it is possible to try the monitor on another PC it would sure narrow down the trouble maker.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:03 AM

A friend is bringing a monitor over today that I can connect to here. If that works then that will be problem solved. I came across a link on Google where the guy explained that a similar problem happened to him and he found he couldn't adjust it by the Geometry Pincushion controls. On closer inspection it turned out that a capacitor had blown. I have a feeling that is also what has happened here as I heard a distinct pop at the time it first happened.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:39 AM

A friend is bringing a monitor over today that I can connect to here. If that works then that will be problem solved. I came across a link on Google where the guy explained that a similar problem happened to him and he found he couldn't adjust it by the Geometry Pincushion controls. On closer inspection it turned out that a capacitor had blown. I have a feeling that is also what has happened here as I heard a distinct pop at the time it first happened.

The different monitor should tell the story.

Think the POP ls a pretty good indication though.

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:14 AM

Problem solved. It was the monitor. My friend brought an old Tiny monitor he had at home from a previous PC and everything is working fine again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users