Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death after installing NVIDIA Driver

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tessalite

Tessalite

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

Hello to everyone

My Operating System Crashes [Blue Screen of Death] after the Windows Intro Splash screen.

My Laptop Specs:
Model: Asus A8js
Video Card: NVIDIA 7700 GeForce Go 512mb
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo T7400
RAM: 2gb

Operating System: Windows XP/ Windows 7

I've recently installed my Operating System from Windows XP SP2 to Windows 7.

At first run everything seemed to be working well. But, after installing the NVIDIA driver downloaded straight from the NVIDIA website [179.48_notebook_vista32 *which was directed to me after choosing NVIDIA 7700 GeForce Go on the selection*] the computer crashes.

Posted Image
This is the Blue Screen of Death that happens right after the Windows 7 Splash Screen [Intro]

I also tried to reinstall back to Windows XP hoping for the problem would not be there.
But, I've discovered there are abnormal blue lines on the splash screen.
Posted Image
Blue Screen of death does not occur rather it displays blank screen.

Whenever I restart this is the view on the boot-up screen:
Posted Image

I've deduced that:
Crashing/ Blue Screen of Death only occurs when I install the NVIDIA Driver.
But, you can still be able to navigate in windows without any problem not until you install the NVIDIA driver.

The interface in the operating system is normal and functions well. But, available resolutions is only in 1024x768 [NVIDIA Driver not yet installed][Display Adaptor: Strandard VGA Display Adaptor] *Installing the driver would crash the system upon restarting*.
There are no abnormalities such as "BLUE LINES" in the operating system/windows interface.
Everything functions well without the NVIDIA driver. But, it is much a dismay that you can only run up to only 1024x768.

What I've Tried so far:
I've tried different drivers from different websites for the NVIDIA 7700 including the NVIDIA website
I've also used windows update to install for the driver.
I've also installed the driver provided on the CD along with my laptop.
I've also installed only the driver [without the other configurations by directly updating the driver via device manager]
I've also tried to uninstall the "Standard VGA Display Driver" which was installed as default and replace it with the NVIDIA Driver.
I've also tried running SAFE MODE after the system crashes and it runs well, because the driver for video card doesn't function.
I've reset the BIOS to manufacturer's configuration.
I've checked my HDD for System Errors.
I've used the Memory Diagnostic Tool resulted without errors.

Reformat Count: More than "8" Times....and counting...

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much.

----------
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 50
BCP1: 99820464
BCP2: 00000000
BCP3: 82880EDC
BCP4: 00000002
OS Version: 6_1_7100
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Edited by Tessalite, 27 August 2009 - 05:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

Where did you get Win7 from?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:38 PM

<<I've recently upgraded my Operating System from Windows XP SP2 to Windows 7.>>

Hmm...I'm wondering how you did that, if you mean that you installed Win 7 over XP. My understanding was that the RC1 would only install clean (maybe that was just wishful thinking, on my part). Or maybe I tried to install over (just to see what would happen) a cloned copy and it failed...I don't know today, that was some months back :thumbsup:).

If you mean that you removed XP and installed Windows 7, that's another story...not an upgrade of the O/S.

Louis

#4 Tessalite

Tessalite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:38 PM

Where did you get Win7 from?

From microsoft they offer beta tests

#5 Tessalite

Tessalite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

<<I've recently upgraded my Operating System from Windows XP SP2 to Windows 7.>>

Hmm...I'm wondering how you did that, if you mean that you installed Win 7 over XP. My understanding was that the RC1 would only install clean (maybe that was just wishful thinking, on my part). Or maybe I tried to install over (just to see what would happen) a cloned copy and it failed...I don't know today, that was some months back :thumbsup:).

If you mean that you removed XP and installed Windows 7, that's another story...not an upgrade of the O/S.

Louis

Yes thats what I did sorry for the misconception but I did an upgrade in my part but not technically tho. I'm not really the technical person myself.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

OK :thumbsup:.

Now...why did you install a new/updated video driver? Was the video working properly before?

Are you sure that you installed the correct driver?

When you attempted to reinstall XP...did you first delete the Windows 7 partition and boot files?

Assure us that you don't have the Win 7 beta installed (this is not the same version as Window 7 RC1), http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx

Louis

#7 Tessalite

Tessalite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:05 PM

OK :thumbsup:.

Now...why did you install a new/updated video driver? Was the video working properly before?

When you attempted to reinstall XP...did you first delete the Windows 7 partition and boot files?

Assure us that you don't have the Win 7 beta installed (this is not the same version as Window 7 RC1), http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx

Louis

Now...why did you install a new/updated video driver?
- There is a need to install the video card driver because it only runs on 1024x768 resolution which was supposed to be 1440x900.
-Some of the options are also not available such as dual monitor and other options in altering the video settings as well such as color alterations.
-According to the Device Manager, Display Adaptor is: Standard VGA Graphics Adaptor

Was the video working properly before?
- It was perfectly fine on the first run.

- I am sure that I have installed the correct driver. I also have used different drivers as stipulated above the 1st post.
Which are:
# the driver directed by nvidia website themselves
# the driver from ASUS Website themselves
# driver from Windows Update
# driver given from opensource web sources
etc.

# yes I always reformat the partition before installing the operating system to have a clean install

Yes, Windows 7 RC1 [Answers ThunderZ question earlier on where the Windows 7 came from]

Regardless of Operating Systems whether Windows 7 or not. Windows XP also has the same deficiency which makes it clear that this isn't a problem in the operating system I presume.

Edited by Tessalite, 27 August 2009 - 03:07 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

Well...my guess (just that) is...if your native installed drivers (on either XP or RC1) didn't seem to be doing the job...then you may have a hardware problem.

FWIW: Never let Windows Update install hardware drivers on any O/S, others can verify the wisdom behind this suggestion.

When I installed XP, I installed video drivers from the CD which came with my motherboard. When I installed Windows 7 on the same system (different drive), Windows 7 installed the correct drivers automatically.

Your notebook debuted almost 3 years ago, so the drivers should have been in the drivers cache of Windows 7 RC1, there should have been no need at all to go to the nVidia site since RC1 uses Vista drivers.

I'm certainly no expert of any sort (I don't even own a notebook), so I propose that we await some feedback from others.

If it were me, I would just do a clean install right now...with XP first and then Win 7 RC1 in a dual-boot...and see what happens with the video.

But let's get some other opinions :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 Tessalite

Tessalite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

Well...my guess (just that) is...if your native installed drivers (on either XP or RC1) didn't seem to be doing the job...then you may have a hardware problem.

FWIW: Never let Windows Update install hardware drivers on any O/S, others can verify the wisdom behind this suggestion.

When I installed XP, I installed video drivers from the CD which came with my motherboard. When I installed Windows 7 on the same system (different drive), Windows 7 installed the correct drivers automatically.

Your notebook debuted almost 3 years ago, so the drivers should have been in the drivers cache of Windows 7 RC1, there should have been no need at all to go to the nVidia site since RC1 uses Vista drivers.

I'm certainly no expert of any sort (I don't even own a notebook), so I propose that we await some feedback from others.

If it were me, I would just do a clean install right now...with XP first and then Win 7 RC1 in a dual-boot...and see what happens with the video.

But let's get some other opinions :thumbsup:.

Louis

Thank you so much for your suggestions ^^

Ye this laptop of mine is already 3 years old. I'm hoping it would still reach 4... tho..

Edited by Tessalite, 27 August 2009 - 05:29 PM.

#10 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

Your problems (blue lines) occur in the BIOS screen as well. Video drivers should not effect that.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#11 Tessalite

Tessalite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:52 PM

Your problems (blue lines) occur in the BIOS screen as well. Video drivers should not effect that.

On the BIOS Menu the lines can only be seen on the background, not overlaying the setup gui

#12 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:45 AM

am not borthing reading caoxueer post lol can tell from the first line

what dpunisher said is right

the graphics card or moniter is stuffed or some thing

so theirs most likly that your windows install is fine
just some thing is failing or damaged

i hope you had a 4 year warranty lol

#13 Tessalite

Tessalite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:21 AM

am not borthing reading caoxueer post lol can tell from the first line

what dpunisher said is right

the graphics card or moniter is stuffed or some thing

so theirs most likly that your windows install is fine
just some thing is failing or damaged

i hope you had a 4 year warranty lol

so this problem is a hardware failure?

yeah how I wished there is a 4 year warranty hehe

thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

#14 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:22 AM

As soon as I see a lappy has an NVidia videocard, my mind shifts to "hardware problem". I have run into a fair amount of problems with them over the last year. There is a reason NVidia set aside $100+ million to repair their faulty hardware.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users