Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutting Down, Shutting Down, Shutting Down...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 siouxdax

siouxdax

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:16 PM

Hello all:
I'm having a lot of trouble with my desktop PC. Lately it has been temperamental. It started with it not wanting to rip or watch DVDs because the case was too hot. It simple stopped playing/ripping and then everything was "normal". Then it started shutting down whenever I ran anything relatively graphic intensive. It literally just powered down. Now for the past couple of days it's been shutting down after having been on for a couple of hours. I've checked the temperature sensor's readings, and all of them were within acceptable limits. I've even opened up the case to allow more airflow, and have the ceiling fan, air conditioner and a powerful shop fan going full blast to keep the room very cool. Still, it kept shutting down after a couple of hours. Then today when I pressed the power button, nothing happened. Nothing. After scratching my head I unplugged the PC and plugged it back in. Now it would power on, but shut down after a couple of hours. But all I needed to do was unplug/plug back in, and I was in business until it decided to shut down again, even though I wasn't running anything, other than your typical, run of the mill background processes. I do have a powerful case fan (I can't remember the brand... Z-something, very big) and I have not made any changes to the hardware or software. Could this be a power supply issue, or is it maybe the graphics card? I'm totally lost... Any help, suggestions, etc would be very much appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:26 PM

Does sound like a power supply issue. Probably a thermal breaker is opening to prevent damage. Unplugging and replugging it is allowing it to reset.

Are the fan(s) on the power supply running?

Some have two. One can be seen from the back of the case. To see the other, if there is one, the case does need to be open. It will be located at either the rear or possibly on the bottom of the power supply.

#3 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

Does sound like a power supply issue. Probably a thermal breaker is opening to prevent damage. Unplugging and replugging it is allowing it to reset.

Some have two. One can be seen from the back of the case. To see the other, if there is one, the case does need to be open. It will be located at either the rear or possibly on the bottom of the power supply.

I checked the power supply. I am not sure if the fan on the back was running, as it was very hard to see (at least for me). I did not feel any air moving, that is certain. The area was very warm. On the bottom of the power supply there were vents, but I don't know if a fan was there.

So, if this is a power supply issue, is this easy to replace? And how much would I have to fork over for a new one?

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:44 PM

I checked the power supply. I am not sure if the fan on the back was running, as it was very hard to see (at least for me). I did not feel any air moving, that is certain. The area was very warm. On the bottom of the power supply there were vents, but I don't know if a fan was there.

So, if this is a power supply issue, is this easy to replace? And how much would I have to fork over for a new one?

You should feel air exiting the case from the back of the power supply.

Power supplies are not that difficult to replace. Probably 4 screws in the back and the power cables to the various components inside the tower.

They should be replaced with one of equal to or greater then the Watts of the current one. Prices depend on the Wattage and quality of the PS purchased.

What is the make and model of your computer?

#5 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

You should feel air exiting the case from the back of the power supply.

Power supplies are not that difficult to replace. Probably 4 screws in the back and the power cables to the various components inside the tower.

They should be replaced with one of equal to or greater then the Watts of the current one. Prices depend on the Wattage and quality of the PS purchased.

What is the make and model of your computer?

I do feel hot air from the back of the power supply, but if the fan is running, it is very weak. As far as make and model, I have a Franken-PC. It was an HP, but I've since replaced the motherboard and graphics card.

As far as the hardware is concerned, I don't know what motherboard I have, but here is what I do know: Pentium 2.66 Ghz, 3.03 Ghz, 1G RAM, ACPI Multiprocessor PC, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

With those upgrades I will guess you are far underpowered.

Sounds like the old PS, probably a 250W or less, just can not keep up with demand and is finally throwing in the towel.

I would recommend prompt replacement with at least a 450W or higher.

Also, if possible do not use the PC until the PS is replaced. To little wattage can cause damage to components about as easily as to much. Just takes a little longer for it to show up.

#7 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

With those upgrades I will guess you are far underpowered.

Sounds like the old PS, probably a 250W or less, just can not keep up with demand and is finally throwing in the towel.

I would recommend prompt replacement with at least a 450W or higher.

Also, if possible do not use the PC until the PS is replaced. To little wattage can cause damage to components about as easily as to much. Just takes a little longer for it to show up.

Well, I hope I can afford a PS. I feel lost without my PC. Thank God I have my laptop to keep me going. Thank you so very much for your help. And thanks for your speedy replies! I knew I would get a lot of help here. I refuse to use any other site for my PC woes. Thanks once again!

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

Your :thumbsup:

Let us know how things work out.

#9 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:37 PM

Let us know how things work out.

Hello all:
Well, my friend brought over a PS that was in one of his old machines, but it was far too large to fit in my custom-sized case. But a few days later he brought me a PS, all shiny and new which fit perfectly in my case. 450 watts (if I remember correctly) versus my old 120. Yikes.

To put icing on the cake, he's gonna upgrade my graphics card! Hurrah!

Again, thank you all!

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#10 Beremat

Beremat

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

Wow, 120 watts? You sure you're not confusing 120 watts and 120 volts? 120 watts is probably the smallest size I've heard of for a PS, and that is already too little for the components you have, not to mention aging of the power supply which reduced the output even further.

Anyway, I'm glad everything worked out! Enjoy your new graphics card and perfectly working PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users