Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player and System Restore don't work

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Damo1234

Damo1234

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:28 PM

Recently I have been unable to open Windows Media player, by any method. More specifically, when I attempt to open it, wmplayer.exe will appear in the task manager for a second or two before vanishing. I attempted to "roll back" to older versions, only to find they were equally unresponsive. I updated to the current version again, and found it still didn't work. Attempting to open it in Safe Mode was equally unhelpful.
Next I attempted to open System Restore, both in normal and safe modes, only to discover it wouldn't open either. More precisely, trying to open it normally yields no result the first time, but if I try a second time a window marked "System Restore" opens, however the window itself is blank. Right clicking on it enabled me to view the source, which I have posted below.

Next, I ran scans with Superantispyware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ . All have given me a clean bill of health.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="MSThemeCompatible" CONTENT="Yes">
<object id=ObjSystemRestore classid="CLSID:fd589b7c-7ce0-11d3-b9e5-00c04f79e399"></object>
</HEAD>

<script for=window event=onload>
<!--

ObjSystemRestore.CanNavigatePage = true ;
if ( screen.height > 540 ) {
ObjSystemRestore.SetFormSize( 770, 540 );
}
else {
ObjSystemRestore.SetFormSize( 620, 420 );
};
switch ( ObjSystemRestore.StartMode )
{
case 0 :
self.location="srui-main.htm";
break;
case 1 :
self.location="srui-success.htm";
break;
case 2 :
self.location="srui-fail.htm";
break;
case 3 :
self.location="srui-lowdisk.htm";
break;
case 4:
self.location="srui-interrupt.htm";
break;
}
-->
</SCRIPT>

<BODY>

<br>

</BODY>
</HTML>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:38 PM

Try running sfc /scannow or doing a repair install of XP.

You might also run chkdsk /r and then defrag the system partition to see if that helps.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

To run chkdsk /r: Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot, the command will run before booting into XP. System will boot into XP automatically when chkdsk /r is complete.

Louis

#3 Damo1234

Damo1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:45 AM

I've tried to run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW , however I do not have a Windows XP cd.

I do have a i386 directory.

But I get the message "Files are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache.

Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now" and I don't seem to have the option to direct the program to my i386 directory.

I have gone to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup

and SOURCEPATH is set to "C:\" (without the quotation marks). I also tried "C:" (without the backslash).

Since it didn't require an XP cd I tried chkdsk, but unfortunately that didn't help at all.

I'm not sure what else to do.

Edited by Damo1234, 02 September 2009 - 12:46 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:38 AM

Do you have a valid license to use XP?

If so, borrow an appropriate XP CD from someone...burn a copy that includes SP1, SP2, and SP3...and then try the suggestions previously made.

If not, there's not much I can suggest...other than obtaining recovery/restore disks from the system manufacturer if system is a Dell, Gatewy, HP, etc.

Louis

#5 Damo1234

Damo1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:32 AM

I have run Sfc.exe to no success.

Before I attempt a "repair install" can you tell me if it normally deletes data?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:48 AM

The link in Post #2 re repair install...contains what I consider to be comprehensive guidance on such.

Since you have provided no information on your system...I suggest that you read the link, paying particular attention to what Mr.Stevens has to say regarding OEM (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.) systems and guidance.

Normally, a repair install (properly conducted on a system with no problems) will not cause data loss. The system files are replaced and any critical updates which have been installed which were issued after the date of the data contained on the install CD used...will be removed and those and any following critical updates will have to be installed.

Louis

#7 Damo1234

Damo1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

Well I'm using a Compaq Presario V6000...

I attempted to follow the instructions on the site, and got as far as

# When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Upon pressing "Enter" as instructed, I received the message

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3."

I tried again 2 more times, then restarted my computer normally. Aside from the problems I've already mentioned with some Windows functions, everything seems to be working fine, so I'm puzzled that it was not detecting my hard drive.

Edited by Damo1234, 04 September 2009 - 03:53 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

Do you have a Microsoft XP install CD that matches your version installed?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 September 2009 - 03:56 PM.

#9 Damo1234

Damo1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:42 PM

I believe so, yes. XP Professional. I've tried to different borrowed CDs now, and get the same error.

Edited by Damo1234, 04 September 2009 - 09:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users