Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

acer laptop wont start

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 fbguzz361

fbguzz361

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

hello, i got my laptop around Christmas time and the other day i brought it over my friends house, then brought it home and it continued to wok for a while but then it froze, which is the first time it has ever frozen. so naturally i turned it off and now when i try to turn it on the lights come on and i hear the fan and hard disk turn on and then off, then the computer shuts off...

i thought i took pretty good care of my laptop. i know it has no malware because i run spybot search and destroy like every few days. and i never take up more that 2 gigs of ram out of the four i have so i dont think it like over loaded....=p

and suggestions i could try, this laptop is kind of like my baby and i really dont want to get another one.. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:16 PM

If the problem only started after visiting your friend,could you possibly have banged it in transit.It is possible to pick up a virus from someone else's network although this sounds more of a hardware problem.If you bought the laptop at Christmas it should still be covered by the manufacturers warranty.They are usually for 12 months.It could be something loose inside but I do not know for sure.If you are not even booting or starting to boot there is not a lot you can check.I would be tempted to try to get it looked at under warranty.Unless someone else chips in with better suggestions.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

Was a "foregin" flash drive plugged into it by any chance?

#4 fbguzz361

fbguzz361
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

i know it had no viruses or anything like that, it was on a different network for a few hours but my friends network is clean.. it is possible that i might have bumped it slightly but i dont think so... i also leave it on for a long time at once so could it be a power supply thing

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

Is the only protection you use Spybot S&D?

You are sure your friends network is clean? How are you sure.

No flash drives were used to transfer files? No files, that you know of were transfer`d over the network?

Just trying to rule out infection so we can then concentrate on either hardware or OS corruption. If it is hardware then Cod head is correct, the warranty should cover it.

Software issues\infections are not.

#6 fbguzz361

fbguzz361
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

well, i know his network is safe because his dad spent like over 200 dollars on anti everything and i would notice if my computer was infected because it wouldn't run perfectly as it does, yes i only use spybot search and destroy because i don't download anything on this computer, neither do i go on bad websites because i'm not RETARDED =] i believe its a hardware thing but i don't think i even have a warranty because i bought it at walmart and i don't have anything like a warranty slip or anything. any hardware suggestions

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

Money does not buy safety.

Apparently you never heard of "drive-byes". Also Spybot only covers spyware for the most part not viruses.

If it is less then a year old then yes you do have a warranty.

Not sure how Wal-Mart\insert manufacturer of lap top here handles the warranties. But as long as you have a receipt, even a credit card statement showing the purchase less then 12 months ago, you are covered.
I would recommend this as your first course of action.

#8 fbguzz361

fbguzz361
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:47 AM

so what should i do

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:55 AM

Quoted from my post above yours.

Not sure how Wal-Mart\Acer handles the warranties. But as long as you have a receipt, even a credit card statement showing the purchase less then 12 months ago, you are covered.
I would recommend this as your first course of action.

#10 fbguzz361

fbguzz361
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:42 PM

ok so im on there website and your right, i do have a warranty but i dont remember if i have anything bad on my hard disk, do they check that stuff

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:02 PM

They are not supposed to.

Sorry, that is the best answer I can give.

#12 fbguzz361

fbguzz361
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:46 PM

sorry about this being delayed, thanks very much =]

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:28 PM

Your :huh:

Hope that means you got everything worked out.

#14 Daniel326

Daniel326

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

ok im using an acer too. When you hear the fan turn on for a second and go off its normally the battery. make sure you see the light come on when you connect your charger.if it dont come on its a short in the cord somewhere. Walmart has a good return policy as long as you have proof of purchase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users