Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Laptop Memory Upgrade Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 archerlane

archerlane

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

Acer 9805WKHi Laptop
Windows XP, "Vista Capable", 2x1GB OEM Installed memory-PC2-5300 DDR2-667 SODIMM 200 pin.

Contacted ACER and confirmed that PC is upgradeable to 4GB.

Purchased store brand 2x2GB matched memory with OEM specs from the "Memory Store". Guaranteed Compatible.

Installed new memory per user manual. PC loads Windows up to logo display and then goes black.
Installed each 2GB sticks separately, PC loads windows albeit much slower than the original memory.

Contacted Memory Store, exchanged memory for brand name Samsung. Installed and got the same results.

Are there any computer settings that need to be changes to allow the PC to function with the memory increase.

Any help would be appreciated.

archerlane

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:43 PM

I cannot help you with any specific settings on your system. I haven't run into laptops that have any signifigant memory settings in their BIOS.

I can tell you that you are not alone. I run into memory incompatabilities weekly on laptops. I keep about 10 different sticks of DDR2 (512 and 1gig sticks) in stock just to cover my bases for customers who want upgrades. I will sometime swap out 4 to 5 different sticks just to find one that works with a system. No rhyme nor reason to it. Sometimes a dirt cheap no name memory stick will work whereas a nice stick of Corsair won't boot.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users