Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cpu fan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 offcmgr

offcmgr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:54 AM

Hello everyone. I need to replace a cpu fan. Ihave a hp pavillion pc w/intel core 2 duo processor E6300. Is there an alternative to the$60 fan that HP wants to sell me? I'm a relative newbie but my husband says this fan replacement is something I should try. Any info, help, suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

You need to remove the old fan and see what the size/connector/specs you are dealing with. If it is a stock round/frameless Intel heatsink fan then I really don't know where to get a replacement. If you have some different CPU fan (normal square framed) then you need to know the size/diameter (usually 80-90mm on stock units), width (25 or 38mm), RPM range, and the number of pins on the connector. Once you have that it's easy. Newegg, SVC among others have fans galore.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:25 AM

Do not know your location, but.....
If you have a local PC shop, do`t mean BestBuy or Wal-Mart etc. A replacement fan (only) can be easily purchased. Under $10.00 and probably less.
If you can find the size of the fan, CPU fans are usually around 80 to 92mm, you can order one online from a reputable store. But for as inexpensive part as this you would probably pay as much in shipping as the cost of the part.

It sounds like HP wants to sell you the heat sink and fan. By the sounds of it, that is totally unnecessary.

#4 offcmgr

offcmgr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:28 PM

Thank you for your response. I guess I get to dig into my case.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

Do`t let it intimidate you.

Once you see inside I think you may be surprised.

Fan replacement should be pretty straight forward. Most are held on with 4 screws. There will also be, probably 3, maybe 2 but doubtful, wires leading from the fan to a 2 or 3 pin plug on the motherboard. Remove the screws, unplug the connector noting how it is plugged in. It will probably fit if turned 180 degrees but will not work.

Reverse the procedure to replace it with the new fan.

Let us know how it works out.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

Case fans
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...;name=Case-Fans
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users