Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird message at Startup

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 mozzer11

mozzer11

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:30 PM

Hi, first post.
I recieved a PC today I bought on ebay. I started it up, it got to the XP loading page and then reset itself. It loaded again but this time it started up ok.
I then installed a Splinter Cell demo just to test it, and about 5 minutes into the game it just exited and went back to desktop. Then I installed my broadband connection and when I connected to the net the pages would freeze and i'd have to restart, or the computer would restart on it's own. After that it kept randomly restarting itself and sometimes a dreaded blue screen would come up saying "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" or "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"
I turned the computer off for a while, then restarted it. Now it boots up then just goes to a black screen with this message "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart" Please tell me someone can help me, or there is something I can do. I only got this computer today and I just wanna start playing games Thanks for any help! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mozzer11

mozzer11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:31 PM

I'm using Xp home btw

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:02 PM

Hi Mozzer11,

I found a Microsoft technet article that deals with this type of error. I am posting that since it is long. The error has to do with either IRQ settings needing to be adjusted, or driver issues. Here is the link: Troubleshooting specific Stop messages

Hope this helps...

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 mozzer11

mozzer11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for that but I can't even get onto my desktop to sort it out, not even in safe mode. I can't reinstall XP either, I boot from the disk and it just goes to a blank screen. ARGH!

#5 mozzer11

mozzer11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:08 PM

Anyone? :thumbsup:

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:23 PM

Get your money back...:thumbsup:

Is your display showing anything? Is the graphics card an add-on card, or is it onboard? Can you boot into the bios at all?

#7 mozzer11

mozzer11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:05 PM

Hehe dont think it hasn't crossed my mind!

When I turn on the computer it starts up, you think it's gonna load all the way, but no, it goes to the "A disk read error" screen.
The graphics card is a geforce 6800 so add-on, I already checked if it's in the slot correctly.
How do i boot into bios?

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:20 PM

Usually, if you press the 'delete' key during boot up, it will kick you into the bios. Right off though, I'm thinking hard drive issue, or memory issue.

Can you boot to a command prompt?

#9 mozzer11

mozzer11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:50 PM

How do I do that? lol

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:54 PM

You probably won't be able to boot to a command prompt at all, especially if youare getting a disk error. See if you can boot into the bios. (tap delete during the boot sequence).. if you happen to get into the bios, don't mess with anything. If it isn't broken yet, you can really do a number on it here.

Let me know if you can get that far.

#11 mozzer11

mozzer11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:08 PM

Nope, it won't do it.
(you'll have to bear with me here as i've only got one monitor and one set of power cables, I have to keep swapping over lol)

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:11 PM

It won't boot into bios?

#13 mozzer11

mozzer11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:14 PM

I was tapping delete but it just went to that disk read error screen again.

#14 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:27 PM

Ok, now I'm leaning towards hard drive problem. Is this a brand new system, or used? I am wondering if the cable that connects the hard drive to the motherboard is bad (or loose), or the MBR is hosed.. there are a few possibilities.

You will need to get a floppy disk and create a boot disk. http://www.bootdisk.com/

See if you can get it to boot with that. Check your IDE cable and make sure that it is plugged firmly into the back of the Hard Drive, and into the motherboard. Obviously make sure the power is off, and make sure you touch the metal part of the case before touching any of the innards.

If that doesn't get us anywhere, then you are probably in need of a new hard drive.

#15 mozzer11

mozzer11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:42 PM

It is used but the guy that sold it to me said it was working fine before he sent it. I'll have to try that tommorow cos I havent got any floppys. Thanks for your help and i'll let you know how I get on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users