Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp pro ? virus ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spotteddog

spotteddog

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:16 PM

This started after i had trouble with my scanner. i tried to start the windows troubleshooter and got an error saying the help and support service was not started. I searched a couple sites to fix thisand have not much luck in getting this fixed. So i thought i would try to get it fixed in windows safe mode. i rebooted pushing f8 and got to the log on screen went enter my password. The puter just reboots. I ve got Norton antivirus 2005 with the current updates. Microsoft anti spyware beta. My windows version is XP pro with SP2 installed. Any thoughts ??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:49 PM

Hi right first things first what trouble did you have with your scanner?/
Norton could be playing up?

With scanners you are suppost to put the driver and everything else first from cd that came with it let it shut down and restart, then plug the scanner in when told too. otherwise you get a corrupt file this is probably what has happened to you.

On nortons i cant tell you much but what computers i have had crash, and i get to help people it is always nortons involved and the easies thing i have found is to install another antivirus, like avg or avast which is free from the web.

LET us know if i am right that when done the scanner you did not do what i have put. :thumbsup: :flowers:
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:19 PM

Hello spotteddog and welcome to BC.

When you boot to the menu using F8 select Last Known Good Configuration and see if that will let you boot. Failing that, select Disable automatic restart on system failure. This will give you an error message rather than a restart. Let us know what that is and we can try and diagnose it from there.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users