Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 8 Only Loads a Handful of WebsitesA friend of mine recently purchased a Dell Inspirion 537S. I personally set it up and installed al

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tim Birbeck

Tim Birbeck

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:29 AM

A friend of mine recently purchased a Dell Inspirion 537S. I personally set it up and installed all the additional software, and everything on it was running just dandy. However, a couple days after I set the system up, his Internet started acting screwy. He can only access a very small handful of websites (Google.com, PhiladelphiaEagles.com, state.nj.us, Marvel.com). But about 95% of other websites simply wont load including major sites like CNN.com, Microsoft.com, Dell.com and Firefox.

I get no error messages. The page keeps trying to load, and you can see the little IE icon doing it's thing, but the page just stays white. It's not an ISP issue. 3 Comcast technicians have looked into it and left scratching their heads. I've tried 2 different laptops, and both can access the internet using the wireless router just fine.

I've disabled the Windows Firewall and the Mcafee Firewall that came with the machine. I've set the IE security settings to the lowest possible settings, I've even used Dell's System Restore to bring the system back to it's factory settings (it formats the partition and everything). Still, the internet is a no go.

To add to the mystery, if I ping a site like www.disney.com I get a response, but the site wont load. I've tried everything short of installing a new browser (a last resort which I don't think will really work).

I spent 70 dollars talking to Dell tech support, which at best is completely oblivious. I spent an hour waiting for the guy to flip through a manual to tell me to try it in safe mode. Dell refuses to budge, even though me and the 3 Comcast technicians (including the regional tech guy) agree that it's most likely an issue with Dell's propriety software...

I'm no dummy with computers. I'm a computer science major, I work in an IT position, and I have a couple of certs under my belt, but I just can't figure this one out. Help!

edit: The machine is using a 64-bit version of Vista Home with IE 8.

Edited by Tim Birbeck, 27 August 2009 - 08:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:03 PM

I am no expert but the only thing that springs to mind is the host file.Programmes like H.P.Hosts can block bad websites.If you can connect to a few websites could it be you have a corrupt host file.Only a thought but since you have had no response its the best I can come up with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users