Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What phone should I buy?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for starting a formu on cell phone. Cell phones are more confusng than computers indeed, because there are too many choices up there. And I just keep using myself:

What phone should I buy?

This sole question is preventing me from buying one. I want something on the high-end, but there are touch screen Toshibas, Samsungs, there is ASUS, HTC, Nokias, Blackberries... Please help me narrow down the options. :blink:
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken Seaman

Ken Seaman

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:42 PM

I like the iPhone has been good to me I just got the new 3gs and I enjoy it even more than my first I had the first gen iPhone and had great use from it I am a truck drive so having all it featcures with me on the road was great.
Ken Seaman

#3 adz63

adz63

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

hi im the other way round dont know jack about computers but know loads about phones ,

so i suggest the nokia n97 i have it at the moment and the phone is amazing , its the best phone i have ever had due to lots of reasons , i have had all the latest phones as i like to have the latest phone , i've had the iphone n96 etcetc this is the best phone by far , i dont see what everyones big deal is with the iphone i had mine about 3 days before i decided that i dont want it . it is not even in the same league as the n97 . i will not be changing this one thats for sure unless someone comes up with something out of this world

#4 lanwanman

lanwanman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

if you can then go with an iphone. it is by far the best i have found so far. it is setting the bar for all to come in my opinion. there are so many uses for it. it's an overall great handheld/email/gps/media player/mp3/picture/video all in one that happens to work perfectly as a phone. Sure you may just need a phone but the fact that you are on this site tells me that you are interested in more than just a phone for your tech needs. i'm interested in hearing arguments on this.

shawn
http://greatesttechnologynews.blogspot.com/

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

If you text a lot, get something with a QWERTY keyboard. It will make your texting life easier.

#6 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:24 PM

How about Nokia N97?

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

Reading reviews the recurring negative is that it's slow.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:25 PM

The Nokia N900 is supposed to be great with a linux OS compleate with root shell and all (which explains why not carriers are jumping to use it). Also for the Open source crowd there is a good option in OpenMoko www.openmoko.com and for the people who want the technical challenge there is the fully open source homebrew TuxPhone http://www.opencellphone.org/ (yes you actually have to build the phone yourself)

Posted Image

#9 RingBearer

RingBearer

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:41 AM

You might like to pick the service first. Price, plan features, coverage, then select a phone from among the carrier's offerings. You are likely to have a 2 year contract and if the service is a poor match for your needs, even the most desirable phone will become a pain.

#10 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:15 PM

I personally like the Blackberry Storm® (touchscreen smartphone) over the IPhone® - I phone was not the greatest. But again, it all has to do with what carrier you have.

#11 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

I personally like the Blackberry StormŽ (touchscreen smartphone) over the IPhoneŽ - I phone was not the greatest. But again, it all has to do with what carrier you have.

What has a career to do with a phone. Like the girl who I was dating told me that I am such a cool manager that I should have a blackbarry, because she would not date teenagers with Iphone. This is such a nonsence in my view...

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

I personally like the Blackberry StormŽ (touchscreen smartphone) over the IPhoneŽ - I phone was not the greatest. But again, it all has to do with what carrier you have.

What has a career to do with a phone. Like the girl who I was dating told me that I am such a cool manager that I should have a blackbarry, because she would not date teenagers with Iphone. This is such a nonsence in my view...

I think you misunderstood. Carrier, not career. Carrier i.e. Sprint, Verizon, TMobile, etc. Some phones or models of phones are exclusive to specific carriers. Such as the iPhone is exclusive to AT&T in the US.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

A "carrier" is the company that you recieve wireless service from. A "career" is what you do for a living.

lol, no pain -

ChrisMN

#14 nikonjems

nikonjems

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:01 AM

according to me Nokia N97 is not bad dude.

#15 larrybeaty

larrybeaty

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:29 AM

I'm trying to decide which phone to buy, a Nokia N-97 or the blackberry Bold 9000, can anyone help me with my decision?

Edited by larrybeaty, 20 October 2009 - 05:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users