Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 twodogs1958

twodogs1958

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:16 AM

Hello,

I'm new to this site and I'm a bit of a techno-phobe so p lease bear with me.

I run a Fujitsu laptop. I have Virgin Media protection with my internet account and settings. Virgin detected a virus (GTB1.TMP.E) but could not clear it. I then ran a AVG scan which did not detect the virus. Then I did an SDFix which also did not detect the virus.But my Virgin Media computer potection still tells me this virus is there. How can I get rid of this. If you do find the time to reply please be as basic as you can as I really am not very good at this stuff.

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twodogs1958

twodogs1958
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:12 AM

I have now found the complete name of the virus.

C:\DOCUME~1\BAZ\LOCALS~1\TEMP\GOOGLETOOLBAR\GTB1.TMP.EXE

I hope this is more helpful.

#3 Straythe

Straythe

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:18 PM

Hello; please note I am not a staff member here, but perhaps I can help out anyway.

GTB1.TMP.EXE is not itself a virus (it's part of Google Toolbar), but you might have a virus that has infected or replaced that file. I'd suggest running a scan with a different tool to make sure. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is used a lot here; it does good work and it's fairly simple to use.

-Download the free version of MBAM from here: (right-click on the link and Save it to your desktop)

Malwarebytes

-Double click on the file 'mbam-setup.exe' to install it.

-Make sure the boxes 'Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware' and 'Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware' are checked.

-Click 'Finish'. MBAM should then update itself and present you with its control panel.

-Select 'Perform Full Scan' and then click Scan. Please note the scan may take a couple of hours.

-When the scan is finished, click OK and then Show Results. If MBAM found any infections, it will show a list.

-To clean these infections, make sure all of them have checks in their boxes, and then click Remove Selected. (Note: your own antivirus may interfere with the changes MBAM is trying to make. You should turn off your internet connection, and temporarily exit AVG and Virgin if you can. Make sure to turn them all back on when MBAM is done!)

-If MBAM asks you to restart the computer, please do restart and let it continue working.

-When MBAM is done, a log will open in Notepad detailing any fixes it made. It's okay to post the log here if it finds anything or if you need more help. (You can also find it by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.)

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck - Straythe
***"When you surround an enemy, leave an outlet free [...] to make him believe there is a road to safety, and thus prevent his fighting with the courage of despair." Sun Tzu ***

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users