Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hiding IP address !

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:49 AM

Can someone tell me how to hide my IP address and if its a download i'd like it to be a safe and secure one at best ! :thumbsup:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:54 AM

You can quit looking and quit asking.

There is no true way to hide your IP.

I know, I know. There is talk all over the Net about it. But in reality it is a myth. The Internet just could not and does not work that way.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:29 PM

ThunderZ is correct.

As my father says - Locked doors keep honest people honest. A thief will not be stopped, just slowed down by a lock.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

Hiding your IP address is like ordering something you have wanted for a long time from Amazon. Then covering up your house address number when the UPS driver drives down the block. Hmmmm where does this package go???? You can try, but somebody somewhere always knows and needs to know what your IP is. It's important information or your searches or browsing will never be returned to you at your 'address'.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

As has already been stated, you can not hide your IP address. When you request a web page, the server needs to know where to send that web page. Your IP address tells the server and the network where to send that page. Same thing for a download. If you download a file from a website, it needs your IP address to know where to send the download. So in short, you can not truly hide your IP address. In reality, just knowing your IP address is largely meaningless anyway. The people that look for systems to compromise use automated scanners, and there is no way to hide your IP from those.

#6 dodgechargerfan

dodgechargerfan

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:19 AM

You can use a proxy to masquerade as another IP address. That will make your requests to a host look like they are coming from the proxy rather than directly from your IP address. However, the proxy still knows your true address for the reasons stated above - to get the requested information to you.

#7 doinmeedin

doinmeedin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:12 AM

Awwwwwwww ! Well suppose i'll have to grin and bare it like everyone else in the www.com world eh !

Thanks to all who responded to this ! :thumbsup:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users