Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer with many issues- Restarting and start-up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Antheaa

Antheaa

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:28 AM

Ok, Well.
My computer has been having many issues over the past few months, which have been extremely annoying.

Firstly, When I try to turn on my computer it gets stuck at the black screen which has the Windows XP logo and loading bar.
After it's been on that page for a while, i restart my computer.. with the same result. It doesn't matter if i leave it on that page for hours (Trust me, I've tried)
I need to restart it at least 3-4 times for it to turn on.

Secondly, my computer randomly restarts itself.
Sometimes my computer has been running for a few hours, sometimes even 5 minutes.. then it restarts.
And that restart isn't always sucessful, sometinmes this also causes the computers to get stuck on the black Windows XP page too.

Lastly, My computer just has many other faults and It just doesn't run smoothly.
For example, sometimes it won't let me go on IE. It'll open the internet page then close is 1-2 seconds after.
Another example, Whenever I turn on the computer the time is wrong. I then set it to the right time, but when i turn it off, and turn it on again, the time is wrong. (I'm pretty sure this has something to do with a battery inside the computer)

I have previously run Malbytes Anti-Malware and all my viruses were removed, but I think that somehow corrupted some files as I cannot run system restore anymore (Yes, I have turned off system restore and turned it back on, with no success), I can't run 'Error-checking' either.
Whenever I right click on C: > Tools > Error Checking > Check now > Tick both 'Automatically fix file system errors AND scan for and attempt to recover bad sectors' then click start, it says "The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer" After i click yes, i restart the computer (multiple times, to actually get running) but the disk check doesn't run.

Reformatting, or any action that has a risk of file-loss, is not an option at the moment as i have important files on my computer, and I would be absolutely devastated if I lost them.

These are my computers specifications,

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer:
IntelŪ
PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.20GHz
3.21GHz, 1.00GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension.

Edited by Antheaa, 27 August 2009 - 04:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:09 AM

My suggestion is to immediately back up all your important files to an external device. Either burn them to disk, purchase an external hard drive or flash drive of adequate capacity and move them to it.

Then post HERE.

Your PC displays all the symptoms of either still being infected or post infection damage from incomplete removal of infections.

#3 Antheaa

Antheaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:19 AM

My suggestion is to immediately back up all your important files to an external device. Either burn them to disk, purchase an external hard drive or flash drive of adequate capacity and move them to it.

Then post HERE.

Your PC displays all the symptoms of either still being infected or post infection damage from incomplete removal of infections.

Alright, I'll go purchase an external hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users