Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Boot Failure after unplugging and replugging an empty HD

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 interrobangs

interrobangs

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:40 AM

I had a really full and old HD in my computer from 2001 on my desktop. I have 3 HDs on my desktop, and the older one seemed to be slowing down the new ones. I backed up all of the files on the old glitchy HD and so it had no files in it, but it wasn't 100% empty. I asked my dad if he could remove it for me and he told me to unplug it in the meantime and he would take care of it later. I did that and then Windows XP couldn't boot, saying there was a problem with the hardware changes and every time I tried to boot Windows normally from the last good configuration, it would loop back again and restart the computer, with the same message. I thought if I plugged it back in and let everything back to the way it was, the OS would load but the same thing happened.
I looked into BIOS to see if anything was wrong (I didn't understand it very much) I didn't change anything, however, I looked at all of the HDs and asked the computer to detect them. When BIOS asked me to save changes I did but now when I turn on the computer it just says "Disk Boot Failure."
I think screwed up big time and I don't know what to do ): Please help, we put so much work into rebuilding my computer after it crashed, I don't want to have to reformat it again.

The HDs in my computer in the order their boot priority order are

WDC WD120JB - 00GVC0
QUANTUM FIREBALL LM
MAXTOR 6L200M0

I think I unplugged the wrong HD (as in the one holding the OS) ): I unplugged the WDC one. One of these drives is much much older than the two of them, and I must have not been able to tell.
Thanks again.
Julia.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users